Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Just got an iMac i7 and have steam. Want to download some games but have only been a console gamer. I have the stock bluetooth keyboard and bought the touchpad. Is there a way to configure using the keyboard and touchpad combo like you would for two analog sticks on a gamepad? What are the best ways to game on a mac, even a mbp for that matter? What are your favorite configurations?

APtalent

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
A touchpad? LOL!

I game using the default bluetooth keyboard and the magic mouse. I use MagicPrefs to enable the invisible middle button for scoping.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
A touchpad? LOL!

I game using the default bluetooth keyboard and the magic mouse. I use MagicPrefs to enable the invisible middle button for scoping.

By touchpad I mean the magic trackpad. It large enough and would be cool to use instead ofnthe right analog stick on a 360 controller. Anyone try or is it possible?

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
By touchpad I mean the magic trackpad. It large enough and would be cool to use instead ofnthe right analog stick on a 360 controller. Anyone try or is it possible?

While possible... most likely will be a bit frustrating vs a mouse. It will also depend on the type of game your planning to play. The FPS/Action/MMORPG games would be (imo) very difficult if not near impossible to keep up with the pace of things. A game such as a strategy/board game style, say Civ 5, or maybe Starcraft 2 might be possible, but again without using one for an extended period of time it's difficult to imagine it being anything nearly as precise and quick as what a tradition mouse does.

I use the MX revolution, and have for a few years. I have only messed with the Apple track-pad for probably 20 or 30 mins at a buddies house. Great device for general use, surfing and many non gaming tasks, however I can't see using it as a dedicated gaming device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.