iMac and HDMI audio discovery..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RooDBwoY, Jan 13, 2010.

1. RooDBwoY macrumors newbie

... or maybe not?

Bear with me, as this will sound more complicated a setup than it really is..

I have the following all connected together:

iMac 21.5" (Late-2009 spec)
    Denon AVR-3806 Amp
    Panasonic TH42PZ80 full-HD Plasma TV

Now, for audio I have a simple optical to coaxial convertor which feeds directly into the input on my amp. With this I get full 5.1 surround and everything works great.

For video, I have a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter plugged into a DVI to HDMI lead. The HDMI lead plugs straight into my amp, which is then switched into my TV, so I can use other HDMI sources from the amp.

The Mini DisplayPort adapter I only received yesterday so I only got video working from the iMac obviously yesterday. Now, the strange thing is, when I plugged it all together, in true Apple fashion, it detected the Denon Amp as a new display so it was set to mirrored and away we went, full-HD 1920 x 1080 on both screens. No overscanning and all looked great.

Now, at this point my audio stopped working through my digital convertor, the amp showed no digital input. After rummaging through the 'Sound' section of the Settings panel I discovered that the computer was using the 'Denon Amp' output in HDMI mode.

Now this is strange because supposedly audio is not supported coming out of the Mini DisplayPort on the iMac yet. Or am I missing something?

Obviously the audio didn't work as my convertor only converts video into the DVI lead which then runs into the amp but it almost seems like the iMac is assuming audio IS connected in that lead and is routing the audio through it.

Has anyone else noticed this? (By the way, switching the audio output back to the optical output restored audio straight away).

Next question would be, does ANYONE make a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI lead (all pins wired)? I'd almost be prepared to buy it to test whether I get audio AND video through it!

Thoughts?

2. ADent macrumors 6502a

3. JimKirk macrumors 6502

4. RooDBwoY thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice one guys. Bit of a bummer that they're both located in the US but at least I have something to search for now :)

Anyone tested either of these with an iMac?