Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlabauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Yes I read that thread and have tried all three of them. When I use that one it says the network is constantly busy. Again. Sorry to be such a problem threader.

carlabauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Unfortunately I read that also and it says the printer is constantly busy. Should I give up?

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I assume that you're still able to print to the HP 4MV from the other Macs on the network, correct?

Is the Ethernet on the new iMac working otherwise, ie, you can use the internet, network, etc.?

Is the reason you can't print out the configuration page from the printer because the display is dead or is it because the entire printer control panel is dead?

Did you try the printer IP address in the browser? What were the results?

In an earlier post you mentioned AppleTalk, you're not trying to connect over AppleTalk are you? AppleTalk is no longer supported under OS X.

Do you have all the latest Software Updates installed? Running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6?

I don't recall your mentioning if drivers were installed for the 4MV, my understanding is that Snow Leopard does this automatically, do you know if this happened?

Have you tried deleting the printer from the Add Printer control panel and re-adding it? Have you tried deleting the printer, turning off the printer, rebooting the iMac, turning on the printer, and then e-adding the printer?

Last edited:

carlabauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
I assume that you're still able to print to the HP 4MV from the other Macs on the network, correct? Yes

Is the Ethernet on the new iMac working otherwise, ie, you can use the internet, network, etc.? Yes

Is the reason you can't print out the configuration page from the printer because the display is dead or is it because the entire printer control panel is dead? Display panel

Did you try the printer IP address in the browser? What were the results? I am not sure exactly what to do here. I haven't gotten any results on any of my computers. I must be doing this wrong.

In an earlier post you mentioned AppleTalk, you're not trying to connect over AppleTalk are you? AppleTalk is no longer supported under OS X. No. I realized that early on.

Do you have all the latest Software Updates installed? Running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6? Yes and yes

I don't recall your mentioning if drivers were installed for the 4MV, my understanding is that Snow Leopard does this automatically, do you know if this happened? Yes I downloaded it also.

Have you tried deleting the printer from the Add Printer control panel and re-adding it? Have you tried deleting the printer, turning off the printer, rebooting the iMac, turning on the printer, and then e-adding the printer?[/QUOTE] Yes I am so sorry for all of your trouble. I do appreciate it.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Is the reason you can't print out the configuration page from the printer because the display is dead or is it because the entire printer control panel is dead? Display panel

Can you still use the buttons on the control panel?

I'm trying to figure out if you have the correct IP address for the printer, could you get it from one of the other working Macs?

Did you try the printer IP address in the browser? What were the results? I am not sure exactly what to do here. I haven't gotten any results on any of my computers. I must be doing this wrong.

Okay, I have 2 computers here on my home network, a PC and this iMac, if I input the IP address of the PC into the URL bar of Firefox, I get "Unable to connect - Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at XXX.XXX.X.XX.", since the PC does not have file sharing or anything of the sort turned on, I can't connect to it. My printer a LaserJet 4m is fortunately or unfortunately still using AppleTalk/LocalTalk so it's not on the network. In the case of your printer you should get a configuration page (similar to what you got for your router's IP address). What do you get?

I am so sorry for all of your trouble. I do appreciate it.

It's not any trouble, ask the Mrs., she'll tell you I love to do this kind of thing (well, unless a PCs involved then I started tearing my hair out like the rest of the world). :)

carlabauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
This is what I get when I type the address that use to be the laser printer address. Someone just told me it might have changed since I upgraded to a new DSL on its own and since my panel is burnt out I can't figure out how to print out the configuration page.

Attachments

• web.jpg
    web.jpg
    824.4 KB · Views: 37

carlabauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Going away for the weekend.

I truly thank you for all your time and help. Have a good one.:rolleyes:

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington

When you do get back, try the IP address again, but put 'http://' first, otherwise, your VZ router will grab the address. I've got a LaserJet 4, and when I set it up, I entered an address manually, into the IP setup, then entered that new IP address into the printer setup. If your panel is burnt out, you might be out of luck, because if it was setup with BOOTP, your router would have to support it. If you can't figure out what the IP of it actually is, you may want to call Verizon, and find out how to log into the router, and find out what IPs are being used.

TEG

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009

Sounds like a good idea. :) The only other thing I can think of that you could try when you get back next week, is to get the printer's IP address from one of the other Macs that are able to print and see if that has any better results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.