iMac and iPad 2 or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sweetheartdans, Aug 21, 2011.

1. sweetheartdans macrumors newbie

I will be commuting to university by car next year. The university is very close to my house 10 mins there and 10 mins back. I was thinking of getting the basic iMac 21.5" with a basic iPad 2 for portability stuff (surfing the web, emails, facebook and group work with a stylus while at uni, an organsier, videos and TV shows and travelling). I thought this would be the best option because I could come back home during a long break (i.e. greater than one hour), i prefer to handwrite my notes and the only times i need portability are mentioned above. But if I need to do copious amounts of typing i could use the wireless keyboard from the imac.

However, the Macbook pro seemed like a good idea too because it will serve all my needs (essays, internet/email, facebook, software, portability). Although I would choose the 15" because i find the 13" inch too small, which is very pricey with accessories i.e. covers, protection plan. Also the mbp allows for me to print while on campus and use library resources.

I am studying teaching and macs are compatible

Would option 1 (imac and ipad 2) be fine or should I get the mbp?

2. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

im in highschool, and if i were you since you want to save as much money as possible, go with a refurb imac 21 inch ($929) and either one of the ipads. much more cost effective than a single mbp and you get the best of both worlds with this.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You don't do anything CPU intensive so you don't need the processing power. Get a baseline 13 inch MBP or an older version (2010). Either one will be more than what you need.

Personally I'd suggest the 13 inch MBP. I don't see the reason for having to buy and maintain syncing between two devices when you could just one that does the same thing.

The iPad only doe specific things and the iMac isn't portable. Just get a laptop that does it all.

4. sumone macrumors regular

I agree with this recommendation!

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Option 1 would be the one I went for. The iPad is more portable, and will take notes the way you want to.

6. gkerr4 macrumors member

I have a 13"MBP and an iPad2 - if i were you. i'd go for the mac and ipad combo - the ipad will give better mobility and battery life, plus be great for non-working related stuff like music and filme, browsing etc - while the iMac will be great for work, storage etc.

just my 2p - when i change the MBP, it'll be for an iMac

7. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I have a 17" MBP + and iPad 2 and I am very happy with this combo. If I were you, however, I'd get the 13" MBP. Upgradable later with extra RAM and larger HDD or SSD (unlike the MacBook Air) and you'll have the portability. However, both seem nice for what you want to do. I personally cannot justify the iPad as a complete laptop replacement (does most things, but not all). Also, you can get the wireless keyboard for the iPad at well since it has bluetooth. Either the dock keyboard or the regular one for extra portability.

8. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Baseline 13" MacBook pro + iPad 1

This is the best setup for a student. Buy both as refurbished. I have done the same thing but I was able to score an iPad2 64gb 3G from kijiji for the price as an entry level iPad2. Love omnifocus app on the iPad. Can't live without it. Cheers.

9. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I am not a fan of the 13in pro, since it has no GT processor.

I think a referbished iPad and iMac would make a great combo. a full laptop is a great distraction, especially in boring classes.

The ipad has what you need, the battery life and even has some apps and games to pass the time between classes. Its very light, (which is a triple plus!) you can always get a keyboard or keyboard case later to make your life easier.

iMac at home can be used for real games, performance, whatever you want to use it for, and although i love my macbook pros they are expensive and not as powerful as an iMac. So your combo is already great.

If you really want a macbook pro, i would recommend you getting a previous generation macbook pro, as you do not need the power, but it will be heavier to carry around.

10. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

How would an iPad not be a distraction too?:rolleyes: This advise makes no sense.:cool: Then you tell the OP that he doesn't need the power of a laptop but does need the power of an iMac.:confused: The OP sated he wanted to go home on holidays. Now he needs to lug around his iMac!:eek: Get the 13" and an external display which today is inexpensive and probably could get one free. If you want an older generation of anything then go for the 1st gen iPad. I see some that can be picked up for super cheap.

11. Young Spade macrumors 68020

+1

Exactly what I said. I don't see why people suggest college students not get a laptop. Why spend more for a desktop that's more powerful than one needs and a tablet that wont' be able to do everything the person wants (download, open, and edit attachments of certain kinds for one, handle links and flash content for another; both of which I had to do multiple times my first year) than to just get a great laptop with the option for a second screen?

Don't they know that, in college, nobody works in their room? At home? Yea you do a lot of solid work in your dorm/apartment, however, a lot of work is done at school. At class, in the library, at cafes, and with friends at various locations.

I honestly think 70 percent of the people giving advice for college aren't even in it.

12. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Is this your first Macintosh?

I have an iPad 2 CDMA, iMac (2006 Intel) and 2010 MacBook 13"

Although I am not a student, and I am mainly work on PC networks (so I use Windows 7 Professional on Boot Camp) and I use all three devices.

If you are at all interesting in running Windows 7, I would recommend an iMac and a standard keyboard and mouse.

I never use a laptop in the office doing productivity work. I require a numerical keypad and prefer a large screen. I think many are more productive with a desktop and it will probably have a longer life expectancy than a laptop (it being exposed to the elements).

As for the iPad, I use it for less serious work but use it often. The battery life is spectacular. Mainly for note taking, reviewing email messages, appointments, reviewing PDFs, some Numbers and Pages, photo viewing, web browsing and a handful of games. Having in the car if needed for Maps or a better-than-smartphone on the road.

The laptop does not come out often, but when it does I have to use it to fix something job related. If I don't have it I am left in a pickle.

I think a MacBook Air may be worth considering if you can get over the size (compared to the 15")

I get more work done on the old iMac than the others, but the others have their place. Probably use the MBP the least amount now.

Lion would be my main concern right now. I would install Slow Leopard on the machine you select if possible.

13. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I would do a baseline MBP and possible iPad 2 :)

14. Austin907 macrumors newbie

Agreed. I actually struggled with this myself, going into college. The iMacs have a lot more power for a lot lower of a price, but you gotta realize the room isn't going to be a tranquil place to work. Eventually, I managed to score a great deal on a high-end 15" and that is the perfect computer for me, having a stockpile of games on Steam and a vested interest in playing them.

I will, however reiterate the advice for the Macbook Pro 13" and the iPad 2 (honestly I would wait until 3 at this point, but each to his own). The integrated graphics card is good enough to play Starcraft, and while it might not seem like it now, by your Sophomore (3rd) and Senior (4th) year you might not even have time for games! (No BF3 for you! :p). Otherwise, get the low-end 15" which sports a serviceable dedicated graphics card and will run just about anything you can throw at it today. If you're trying to get into the hardware arms race, a MBP or an iMac are not the platforms for this.

15. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

i am not in college myself, but i am in highschool and have read much about this on the forums. The laptop and external display is the way to go. What about when your having a party or kickback in your room? what if someone knocks over the imac? the laptop just seems much more practical to me.

16. JonasDK macrumors member

If I were in your position, I would definitely just get the 15" MBP.

17. sweetheartdans thread starter macrumors newbie

I won't be living on campus, however I have decided on definitely getting an mbp. I would like the 15" one with an ipad 2 as the 15" isn't as portabale as the 13"

I have worked out a rough cost of the mbp 15" and ipad 2 (all with accessories and including discounts) to cost just over $2500.

18. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

good idea, what made you go 15 over 13?

19. gusmahler, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

gusmahler macrumors member

Why do people say they can't work on a laptop because they need a large screen and a better keyboard? Don't you realize that you can connect a monitor and keyboard to your laptop?

Laptop is probably the better idea for OP. I agree with Young Spade, no matter how close you live to college, you'll be doing a lot of work in labs, in libraries, and in study groups. You can't do that with the iMac.

Make sure to get a security cable and use it all the time. Thefts are rampant on college campuses.

----------

Actually, he said he lives at home and goes home when his breaks are longer than an hour.

Although I'd recommend not doing that. You say it's 20 minutes round trip to college. But you're not including the time to get to your car. Or the time to get to campus, find a space, and walk back to class. That will add another 20 minutes. Even with a 2 hour break, you really don't want to waste 40 minutes commuting back and forth.

Only go home when you're done for the day, unless you have a really long break (4+ hours). If you have a 1-3 hour break, study in the library, hang out with your friends, meet new people--don't waste it on the highway.

20. sweetheartdans thread starter macrumors newbie

btw I am a girl and yes I will be living at home. The laptop will not always be portable so I dont mind the 15" and it will be a graduation present. I might consider getting an ipad 3 after a few weeks at uni