All iPads iMac and ipad air vs MacBook Air and ipad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by i0Nic, Dec 1, 2013.

?

Which combination?

1. iMac 27 + ipad air for mobile productivity.

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. MacBook Air with external display + ipad mini.

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Different option - please comment.

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Which do you think is the better combination?

An iMac with an ipad air as a mobile machine, or a MacBook Air with external display and an ipad mini. I'm deciding between these two options.

Anyone own any of these combos or have a different option?

2. iPad Air macrumors regular

Coming from what you posted, I would do the MacBook Air and an iPad Mini. I would personally like to have a mobile full OSX device, and the mini serves well as your extra mobile convenience device. :)

3. RickTaylor, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

What do you want to do with your computer and Ipad? What are your preferences? Neither combination is objectively "better" than the other, it all depends upon how you're going to use it and what your preferences are.

I use a macbook air and iPad mini myself. I typically wear a jacket, which allows me to carry the mini around about in a jacket pocket as easily as I carry my cell phone, yet it's just big enough for reading pdf's in portrait mode. While a larger device might sometimes make web browsing more comfortable, it's worth it to me to have a device that can go everywhere with me, and that is so small and easy to carry. Besides, if I want a larger screen, the macbook air can slip into my briefcase nearly as easily as a full size Ipad could.

4. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I have a MacBook Air and iPad Air. It works pretty well. Both light. And the iPad Air is the full iPad experience. Also have an iPhone 5s

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have a 2013 MacBook Air (13"), a 27" ACD to connect to when I need a bigger display, and a iPad Air 32gb (iPhone 5 as well). I find this combination has about all I could ask for in versatility and portability.

6. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

For those that pick the Macbook option, do you guys think having a Macbook Air 11" and iPad Air is redundant?

To clarify, I like to have a desktop setup at home. For other times I like to have a device to read in bed, browse the net on the couch, take notes on in meetings at work, and occasionally use for productivity tasks and typing.

The other consideration is cost, potentially a Macbook Air and an external display/speakers is a higher cost than just getting an iMac.

There are a lot of factors and it's quite confusing. I've currently got an iPad Air and I like it though it's less 'holdable' than my old iPad mini and I miss that, though I like the screen. I am also using my work computer which is a 15" retina macbook pro which I'm toting to and from work - this is getting cumbersome as it's quite heavy. So I want to get a personal computer again.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No. They are totally different devices -- I don't understand why people think just because the screen size is close, they'd somehow be redundant. A knife and scissors could be about the same size, but nobody will think having both is redundant.

8. SHKLMRE macrumors regular

I had a 13" MacBook Pro and an iPad Mini. I just sold both and bought a 21.5" iMac and an iPad Air. So far, I'm loving the set up. The iMac offered more power than my 13" MacBook Pro and my iPad Air, with a keyboard case, will be used for my portable needs.

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

That is actually a great analogy! I may use that!

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Lemme see what I got...2012 15" rMBP, iPad Air, and iPhone 5s. Reason? I need iPad Air for long commute ride, watch movies on my bed leave rMBP on the desk. iPhone for texting, sexting, and checking email. :apple:

11. Hey Apple! macrumors member

I would recommend the MacBook Air and the iPad Mini. In fact, I'm contemplating making the same purchase myself. The MBA and iPad Mini will be a perfect work solution. The MBA is good for both home on the external monitor and for on-the-go mobility. The iPad is a good companion device for this and both will serve to fit your needs.