iMac and iPad or Retina MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by duebex, Jul 18, 2014.

1. duebex macrumors newbie

Hey there, first post, need a new computer for school in September. I've come down to two options.

1. iMac and iPad - iMac for heavy duty stuff for when I get home and iPad for portability, reading documents and looking over notes. Does anyone have this combo? How productive are you with an iPad and is it helpful in work as well as play? If I go this route, I'm going to start saving for a chromebook or second hand MacBook Air if I need to do lots of typing on the go and the iPad won't suffice.

2. 13" Retina MacBook Pro - one device that is powerful enough and that I can use at home and when I'm out. If I go this route, I would then save up for an iPad at a later date for consumption needs.

I ruled out the MacBook Air because of its poor screen for the price but should i consider it as an option? I've read people have had problems with the Retina screen.

My use cases will consist of web browsing, spotify, writing and reading documents, photoshop, coding and some low demanding games here and there.

Thanks in advance.

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Get a 13" rMBP 8GB/256GB with an external 24" IPS display. Should cost you about $1450 total, and you get a $100 Apple Store gift card.