iMac AND iPhone running really slowly!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by olicorse, Sep 15, 2010.

1. olicorse macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've got an iMac that's about 2 years old. It's been running pretty slow for a while and I don't know what's wrong with it. I've tried cleaning it with Onyx and that improves it temporarily (although nowhere near fully) but then a few days later it's back to how it was before.

Also my iPhone now runs really slowly and can take about 10 seconds just to open the clock! It's only an iPhone 3G and I've got the latest OS installed on it, but I've been told that shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Do you think whatever's wrong with my iMac could somehow have been transferred to my phone too?

I was thinking of doing a complete reinstall of my iMac but if I restore my files from Time Capsule, will whatever's slowing it down be stored on there too? Please can someone advise the best way of cleaning everything up.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Oli

2. Sheeds macrumors member

Sheeds

I highly doubt it's the same problem with both iPhone and iMac.

Have you installed iOS 4.1 for your iPhone? It should speed up your 3G quite a bit if you're using iOS 4.0 at the moment.

How full is your hard drive? If it's reached capacity, you should try and free up some space, to begin with. Regardless though, you should repair your disk permissions in Disk Utility, under Utilities in your Applications.