Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afehrenbach

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
The Heart of America
Hey everyone. I need some insight on RAM for my Rev. A iMac G5 17" 1.6GHz. It came with 2 modules of 256MB standard Apple RAM (so, 512MB DDR SDRAM PC3200 Unbuffered, in total). I'm thinking it's about time to upgrade that for a bit of a speedbump. And, as I've found a great deal, I'm planning on maxxing it out all the way (2GB RAM). So, here's where I need your help:
The deal I've found is about $80 per 1GB module of Kingston ValueRAM 184-pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200). The RAM deal I'm looking at can be found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141307
From the looks of things in the System Profiler's Memory pane, it appears that this is a total match with the type of RAM my iMac takes. But (and here's my real problem) this conflicts with the fact that the ValueRAM official site's (http://www.valueram.com/) System Specific link leads me to select my iMac system configuration, and once there, I am shown 6 Memory options (http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=20092&mfr=Apple&model=iMac+G5+1.6GHz+%2F+1.8GHz&Sys=20092-Apple-iMac+G5+1.6GHz+%2F+1.8GHz&distributor=0&submit1=Search) none of which are ValueRAM.
So, I'm trying to pull from some MacRumors Forum-er's knowledge to see if the memory will work in my machine regardless. Thanks for any input you can provide toward my slight predicament. ;)

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
It should work in your iMac. If not, then take it back. Keep in mind that your iMac only has 2 RAM Slots, so you'll have to take one of the 256MB DDR DIMMs out in order to put the 1GB DDR DIMM in.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Simply: The Kingston ValueRAM KVR400X64C3A/1G is not the same memory module as the KTA-IMAC400/1G. Kingston only guarantees compatibility of their KTA- series RAM in Macs. The ValueRAM series has been widely reported as incompatible in Macs, and the iMac 1.6 is the most finicky G5 made.

Add that to the fact that NewEgg has the ability to charge you a 15% restocking fee (plus shipping) on a non-defective return, and this looks like a bad bargain.

Choose your RAM from a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with your specific Mac, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

If you are in the USA, it is $96 currently at Data Memory Systems
Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Macs are extremely picky about RAM. Datamem is the only place I shop for memory. They guarantee RAM to work with a particular Mac, they have very good prices, and they have good RAM. Crucial also has Mac guaranteed RAM at a very high quality. Their prices are a little higher, so I'd stay away. But I'd never purchase RAM from a dealer who doesn't give me a Mac guarantee and a life-time warranty.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I've never had any problems with any types RAM that I've put in any of my Macs. I wouldn't say Macs are picky about RAM....

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mklos said:
I've never had any problems with any types RAM that I've put in any of my Macs. I wouldn't say Macs are picky about RAM....

I've played Russian Roulette a few times and have never lost, so I wouldn't say it is a dangerous game. :p :rolleyes: :cool:

One user's experience does not mean the experience is universal. The type of RAM in your Mac does matter. I would take CanadaRAM's advice, as he knows what he's talking about (being that he runs a RAM distributor catering to Macs and all!) After all, you're spending good money on your Mac - why cheap out on such an important component as RAM? As with many things in life, you get what you pay for. :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
Hmmm.. Please check back with me once you have 17 years experience installing RAM in over 5,000 Macs. ;)

... And that would be checkmate... :p :D

As I said, always listen to the experts - they know what they're talking about. Whenever I or any of my (Canadian) Mac-using friends need to buy more RAM in the future I'll be referring them to CanadaRAM. :cool:

Note: Shard is not a remunerated endorser for CanadaRAM.com or any of its affiliates or holding companies and is speaking of his own free will.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
CanadaRAM said:
Hmmm.. Please check back with me once you have 17 years experience installing RAM in over 5,000 Macs. ;)

Haha....doesn't mean you know as much as you think you know!!!! I still haven't had any trouble putting any brand of RAM into any Mac that I've serviced before... That doesn't mean it might not work...I was just saying I've never had any trouble putting any kind RAM into any RAM.

afehrenbach

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
The Heart of America
Thanks everyone for all your feed back! And thanks CanadaRAM for your suggestion to buy from Data Memory Systems. They have the best price I've seen on memory that is actually confirmed to work on my iMac. I plan on ordering 2GB from them ASAP.
Can't wait to watch my iMac fly!!! :D
Thanks again, everyone...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
afehrenbach said:
Thanks everyone for all your feed back! And thanks CanadaRAM for your suggestion to buy from Data Memory Systems. They have the best price I've seen on memory that is actually confirmed to work on my iMac. I plan on ordering 2GB from them ASAP.
Can't wait to watch my iMac fly!!! :D
Thanks again, everyone...

No worries, that's what we're here for! Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :) And enjoy your screaming fast Mac once your RAM arrives! :D

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mklos said:
Haha....doesn't mean you know as much as you think you know!!!! I still haven't had any trouble putting any brand of RAM into any Mac that I've serviced before... That doesn't mean it might not work...I was just saying I've never had any trouble putting any kind RAM into any RAM.
Oh OK, what you're saying then is of the Macs you have installed RAM into, the RAM has always fit into the socket. Right then.

It sounded like you were saying that in your experience, you have used any arbitrary brand of RAM in Macs regardless of compatibility, and never had one that was incompatible.

If it were the second one, my comment was that that could well be true, given luck and a small sample size.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
CanadaRAM said:
Oh OK, what you're saying then is of the Macs you have installed RAM into, the RAM has always fit into the socket. Right then.

It sounded like you were saying that in your experience, you have used any arbitrary brand of RAM in Macs regardless of compatibility, and never had one that was incompatible.

If it were the second one, my comment was that that could well be true, given luck and a small sample size.

No..I wasn't implying that I was say trying to shove a DDR stick into a PC133 slot, or install a PC2100 stick into a PC2700 slot if thats what you meant. I could tell you right off the top of my head what type of RAM any non beige Mac takes today. I've used many different brands of RAM from Crucial, Kingston, Edge, non-brand name, etc, which have all worked in the Macs that I've worked on and upgraded. I always look to see which Mac it is to see what type of RAM to get. There are specific things to look for in each Mac that usually tells what type of RAM to get.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mklos said:
No..I wasn't implying that I was say trying to shove a DDR stick into a PC133 slot, or install a PC2100 stick into a PC2700 slot if thats what you meant.
No it wasn't :rolleyes:
I could tell you right off the top of my head what type of RAM any non beige Mac takes today. I've used many different brands of RAM from Crucial, Kingston, Edge, non-brand name, etc, which have all worked in the Macs that I've worked on and upgraded. I always look to see which Mac it is to see what type of RAM to get. There are specific things to look for in each Mac that usually tells what type of RAM to get.

That's just the thing: There are specific things to look for.

Like, a Blue and White G3 or Yikes G4 will fail with any PC100 or PC133 512 Mb DIMM, and will fail with any 8-chip 256 Mb PC100 or PC133 DIMM.

And a 15" 1.0 and 1.25 and 17" 1.0 and 1.33 GHz Powerbook G4 will fail with a standard 1 GB PC2700 SODIMM (including the Crucial CT12864X335).

Etc.

When you say "I have used x number of generic and other brand RAM in Macs without trouble" you imply that any other MR member can do the same without looking for a compatibility guarantee. But, what you are really saying is that "If you have the experience and know what to look for, you can use generic RAM" and 90+% of MR members don't have the specialized knowledge that you and I have with upgrading Macs.

Which really comes back to what I say (ad nauseum) -- that to be sure RAM will work in a Mac, you need more information than is available in the sales sheet specs ("PC3200 DDR400 DIMM 2.5V CL3 non-ECC"), so in the absence of copious personal experience, the majority of shoppers will need to rely on the seller for this advice.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
grapes911
Macs are extremely picky about RAM. Datamem is the only place I shop for memory. They guarantee RAM to work with a particular Mac, they have very good prices, and they have good RAM.

Bought my 2 (1GB) sticks for my new iMac from them last-week, after reading about them because of CanadaRAM ;) I forgot to give a piece of info with my order :eek: and about 1 hr later I got a phone call asking for that info to complete the order from them. Great service and I had the RAM the next day, so they will always get my business from now on :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.