iMac and laptop or MacBook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Karr271, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Karr271 macrumors regular

I need help deciding for my next computer set up for college and recently sold my old MacBook pro 13. My options are an iMac and laptop ( like a 11.6-13 inch Dell ) or just a 15" MacBook pro i5. I am not sure about getting an iMac because I'll be in a dorm. I think a 15" MBP will be overkill for portability as I liked the 13" size. However, I must have an I-series processor because I do video and photo editing. The 15" pro costs $1800 or I can get a refurbished iMac for $1019 for all of my editing and an affordable small laptop for about $500 just for note taking, web browsing, social networks, and music. I am leaning towards the iMac and laptop because I like to be portable and an iMac will give me the processing power I need. I also don't mind having two computers with two different operating systems.

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

It sounds like you are looking for a desktop and a netbook... Just know that you going to have to keep track of syncing your documents. Dropbox might be a helpful thing for you.

3. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

Get a refurbished iMac and then a used Macbook or Macbook Air off craigslist. You could do this easily for less than $1800

4. jimfaster macrumors newbie

I think the book pro Mac is becoz although I used to have a Mac, then after 2 years I got a Mac Book Pro. When I got my Mac Book Pro has changed my life with many features. Like when I got my Mac, I could see what I write at night, but now I have specific characteristics.

5. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Why not have a MacBook Pro and a monitor to plug-in while at home? If you don't have to spend money on two computers but only one (powerful) MacBook Pro, wouldn't this be able to do you video work nicely?

6. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

what you need is a macbook pro with the led cinema display and the apple keyboard and magic mouse

7. Karr271 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot. Btw, this is my first forum post and I love the support. I think
    I'll go for a 15" MacBook pro as it'll be simple to pack when I travel homefrom college while providing the power I need.

8. kitsunesfire macrumors newbie

I'm a college student and currently have an iMac and a 13"Macbook Air. It's the perfect combination for me: desktop for the main storage powerhouse, games, and for when I really just need to sit down and write a huge paper, ultra portable laptop for everyday use, notetaking, web surfing and convenience.

Ultimately, it depends on your usage and priorities. I'm a Professional Writing major, so having a machine with me to write on at all times was essential. But I also do a fair amount of photography and gaming, so the iMac doesn't force me to give that up. Between the two, I have no sacrifices. I highly recommend this setup. Good luck with your search and your classes!

9. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Why not iMac/iPad combo? There are refurbished models of both on Apple's site. And I commuted to college last semester and the only "computer" I brought with me was my iPad and it performed well.

10. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

that is a really good idea the ipad is really the perfect carry around computer

11. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I am graduating this semester. Having a MBP with me at college was invaluable as an MIS major. I could run Bootcamp/VMWare for Windows to do programming (Visual Studio, etc.) for classes. If I had to choose I would get the MBP over the iMac. You can grab an LCD for cheap and have a very powerful (and mobile) computer. I like being able to take my work with me.

My setup for college was this...
    Freshman year: Dell Inspiron 9300 17"
    Sophomore Year: MBP 15" early 2008 (gave Dell to father for his business)
    Junior Year: Nothing new
    Senior Year: Windows 7 Desktop and iPad

I really like my current setup. My Windows desktop is for gaming mainly but also works great for most of my class work as it usually is within the Windows OS. The MBP gives me a lot of flexibility though, I generally take this with me to all of my classes.

I only take my iPad to school when on my days with only one class. While I love the iPad, it does not have the flexibility of a laptop or suite my needs as a student.