Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I bought a new iMac last week. I'm thinking about upgrading to lion. I would like other opinions on wether or not this a good idea. I have heard about people having problems doing this. Is there anyone that has done this without any problem?
Thanks for any help. This is my first Mac and I'm tring to figure this all out!

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Millions of people have upgraded without problem. The complaints you see around here fall into two categories:

1. People have old habits they do not want to change. Since you are new you don't have old habits. Almost all of the changes can be turned off anyway.

2. Old software which no longer works. Again, you are new so you do not have old software.

I suggest you back up your computer using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Install Lion and use it for a few days. If you do not like it, restore the old operating system from your backup. However, I think there is much in Lion a new user should like. Best wishes

jsfpa

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Millions of people have upgraded without problem. The complaints you see around here fall into two categories:

1. People have old habits they do not want to change. Since you are new you don't have old habits. Almost all of the changes can be turned off anyway.

2. Old software which no longer works. Again, you are new so you do not have old software.

Very well said!

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010

I suggest you back up your computer using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Install Lion and use it for a few days. If you do not like it, restore the old operating system from your backup. However, I think there is much in Lion a new user should like. Best wishes

Very well said!

I second that. :apple:

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008

Thanks for the advice. I really don't think I would miss the old operating system since I haven't learned much about it anyway. I just wanted to make sure that Lion won't slow down my computer or anything. I read about people having the fan going crazy and the computer freezing up.
Thank you for your helpful reply.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Hi
I have another question. Does youtube and flash videos stop working with Lion and freeze the computer?
Thanks for any input.

No More Windows

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
Sydney Australia
Hi
I have another question. Does youtube and flash videos stop working with Lion and freeze the computer?
Thanks for any input.

Hi,

Luckily you bought your new iMac during the qualifying period for a free upgrade to Lion, so apart from doing a full system restore to Snow Leopard should you not like the upgrade, you're really not going to any worse off financially. Personally I did the (Paid) upgrade the minute I received the email from Apple to say it was available and so far I've found it to be full of great features.

It certainly doesn't appear to have slowed my iMac down at all, (21.5 inch Mid 2011 iMac, Intel i5 CPU, 4Gb RAM, 1TB HDD mouse & Trackpad) or made it any faster for that matter, I really can't notice any change in the system speed at all but I'm sure there's some geek out there that'll site a generic benchmark test that shows a few micro-seconds difference either way. I really dont care about that...

I love the addition of the new gestures in Lion for launch pad and mission control as well as the multiple desktops and the updated mail client with conversation view. By far my favourite additions are the iWork versions support and the iOS type folders.

IMO Lion rocks!! ...mind you, I thought Snow Leopard was pretty damn good too, but I can see how Lion may not be for everybody. For me it was a welcomed and economical upgrade for $31.99AU when I'm acustomed to paying $300.00 for a new Windows upgrade. For you though it's a free upgrade. Worst case scenario is you go back to Snow Loepard if you don't like Lion.

It really should be a no-brainer!! As for Flash and Youtube, I've had no problems with either.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks NMW. I have the same computer as you do. I downloaded Lion but have not installed it yet. I also burned a boot dvd of lion, should I ever need it. I may go ahead and install tomorrow. I was worried that youtube and flash would not work. I like youtube and nba.com, both need flash.
Thanks

No More Windows

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
Sydney Australia
Thanks NMW. I have the same computer as you do. I downloaded Lion but have not installed it yet. I also burned a boot dvd of lion, should I ever need it. I may go ahead and install tomorrow. I was worried that youtube and flash would not work. I like youtube and nba.com, both need flash.
Thanks
Fear not young fellow, I can confirm that Youtube works perfecty on Lion. I think I downloaded a Flash update before the Lion install when I was running SL so wether or not a fresh Lion install comes with Flash support I'm not sure. The main thing is that it works... :D

Cripps

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
Flash works well here on a 2011 iMac, so not everyone has problems.
I recommend you go for it and start enjoying the new experience.

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Got my iMac 2.5 weeks ago and it came with SL and I held off doing the upgrade to Lion until last Friday.

What I did to be safe was partition my HDD and kept SL there just in case Lion was giving huge issues. Made the Lion Boot Disk and clean installed it on the fresh partition.

No issues whatsoever...Everything is working great, no issues with Flash or waking up from sleep or wifi. In fact I'm really, really impressed with Lion. It's very slick, very clean and modern, I love the scroll bars being removed, love the gestures etc

Full screen apps are a bit much though on a 27 in screen, iTunes though does look good in full screen and using cover flow.

Lion is highly recommend. Everything is very quick on it as well, Safari is blazing fast!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.