iMac and Logitech mouse problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mavis, Oct 20, 2007.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Oh boy, I am BEYOND livid right now ...

I have a Logitech MX Revolution purchased here in Japan, and am using it with my new iMac. I use Steermouse because I've heard that Logitech's ControlCenter isn't that great, but for some reason Steermouse doesn't seem to recognize one of my mouse's buttons. So, tonight I uninstalled Steermouse and tried the Logitech CC instead.

BIG MISTAKE.

Here's the problem: my mouse doesn't work properly now and I want to uninstall the Logitech drivers, but I CAN'T - the installer doesn't have an uninstall option, nor does the Control Panel itself. The installation disc that came with my mouse is for XP & Vista only (?!?!?!?!?!) and so I have no idea how to get this CRAP off of my system so that I can have a functional mouse right now. WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?!?!?!

I apologize for my tone, but I am so freaking PISSED OFF right now - my new iMac has been working PERFECTLY until now; thanks to this steaming pile of **** software from Logitech it is virtually unusable. Any ideas?

2. expergo macrumors regular

My MX revolution works perfectly with my iMac. Download the software from the Logitech website and uninstall it with that.

3. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

First Step:

Take a deep breath... and calm down. It's going to be alright.

I am using the MX revolution and VX Nano mouse from Logitech. I, like you, installed the Logitech Control Center software to set up the mouse buttons. Within seconds of installing, my MacBook Pro randomly restarted itself. It should suffice to say that I agree with you: Logitech Control Center is a worthless piece of junk.

That said, I also installed SteerMouse as a trial and ended up purchasing it because it does a fantastic job of mapping the Revolution's and Nano's mouse buttons. You may want to give it another try. While Steermouse could have a little more intuitive interface, it does work well when you figure out which button numbers correspond to the various buttons on the mouse itself.

I would download the LCC software again and use the uninstaller app to remove the bad software ASAP. If you have a normal wired USB mouse, you may want to try that for uninstalling the LCC software. You could also try booting into safe mode to stabilize the system enough to uninstall the bad software.

I doubt this will be any consolation to you, but the analogous Logitech software for Windows, Setpoint, is just as bad.

4. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get it uninstalled by tracking down an older version of the software - the new version does not come with an uninstaller!! Real genius on Logitech's part. :rolleyes:

As for Steermouse, you said that it maps the MX Revolution's buttons just fine? That's odd, because I can't get Steermouse to recognize the "Quick Search" button on my Revolution - it worked fine with Logitech ControlCenter but Steermouse doesn't see it. I've read online that it should map to 'Button 6' in Steermouse, but it doesn't work on my machine. Every other button works fine and is mappable, but the "Quick Search" button only works with LCC!! Frustrating ... Does that button work with your Steermouse setup?

5. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

I have the very top button (button six) mapped to activate Quicksilver. Works like a charm. Which action are you trying to map to the button?

[​IMG]

EDIT: There was one more step I did when uninstalling the LCC software. When I restarted, I held down command+option+p+r to reset the PRAM. This clears out some device settings that might have been damaged by the LCC software. Total voodoo, but that's what I did. After clearing the PRAM, I installed SteerMouse and rebooted again.

6. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Thank you for the reply! I tried resetting the PRAM (whatever that does) but I ended up just emailing the Steermouse guy - to my surprise he wrote back very quickly, asking for a screenshot of the 'Analyze Device' screen. I sent it to him and he emailed me a beta version of 3.8, saying that Logitech had apparently changed some parameters on the newer MX Revolutions. Sure enough, the beta version he sent me works perfectly! So I promptly registered Steermouse and now everything is working great!! Gotta love the service though - less than an hour after emailing him (on a Sunday, no less!) I had a beta version installed and the problem fixed. Well worth the $20 to register, I think - it sucks that we have to spend money getting our already expensive mice to work (quite sad, actually) but it's great that there is at least a way to get around Logitech's pathetic excuse for a driver ...

Anyway, thanks again. I'm glad to have everything working as it should! (now if only there was a way to back up my Steermouse prefs, ;))

7. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

Well, actually...

That's awesome! You'd never get that kind of support from Logitech! I know I haven't. As for backing up your settings, you can go to

Your Home Folder/Library/Preferences/ and look for jp.plentycom.SteerMouse.plist and SteerMouse.prefs .

Backup up those files and you've saved your mouse settings.