iMac and Macbook connection intermittent...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tiptopp, Aug 5, 2010.

1. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

I have a Macbook and iMac, both connected to the internet via a single wireless network using an Airport Extreme.

I have intermittent issues with connecting them, to share files and avoid having to walk to the other one to check something. I have, sometimes, been able to grab files and screen share, but at other times I am simply told something like 'unable to connect', or 'connection failed', after 4 or 5 minutes of spinning cog.

I have googled this issue, and could only find reference to setting up a computer to computer network using airport cards. I did this, but it means that the computers are no longer connected to the internet.

I've also found a few other people who have reported similar issues - but none of their forums could come up with an answer that worked!

So, can anyone tell me where I might be going wrong? As it's not consistent, I'm assuming that it's not that I've actually done something wrong, but it's unlike Apple to make something like this quite so hard to work out for oneself!

Cheers,

TT

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

get istumbler, check out what channels your neighbors are running, you want to be as far away from them as possible.

several household items operate at the same frequency as wi-fi (2.4 GHz) such as microwave ovens, some cordless phones and baby monitors. those can cause interference.

also if they're not in the same room, walls and other structures have a significant impact on the distance you can go. also how the wall is built.

It's not really an apple thing, it's just how wi-fi is. If you want a stable and secure connection, you will never do better than a hard connection.

3. tiptopp thread starter macrumors regular

tiptopp

Apologies - didn't make myself clear

I'm sorry - I re-read my post and understand why you've answered as you have.

It isn't the network that I'm losing - I get pretty good connection and speeds throughout most of my house - it's just that the Macbook won't display to me the contents of the iMac, and vice versa, even though I can be browsing the internet through the network that they share at the same time.

If it was consistent, I would expect to have to change some settings somewhere, but as it's intermittent, I don't understand what's wrong.

Thanks for your reply - sorry I wasn't clearer in my question.

Cheers,

TT

4. tiptopp thread starter macrumors regular

tiptopp

May have fixed this...

I went through both Macs the other day and checked settings, etc. Made a few tweaks to various network and sharing items and eventually, I got round to simply clicking on 'Connect as' again because, although I did this before and entered security details, it was the only thing left to look at. Entered my details and the two computers immediately started sharing information. Set up an alias in the left nav bar for the folder most commonly needing to be remotely accessed and it all seems fine, even after a couple of restarts.

So although I'm not entirely ready to admit it was entirely down to user-error, I guess it looks that way. I'm still a bit disappointed that the error message isn't more useful, though, than saying 'unable to connect'.

Cheers,

TT