iMac and MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robbrick, Nov 27, 2008.

1. robbrick macrumors member

Hi, just wanted to ask if any of you guys/gals have a notebook and iMac or some desktop setup. Right now, I have an iMac with a 1TB drive to store all my media, etc. My company bought my a MacBook Pro for Christmas and while I like having both, I just wonder how would be the best way to use these machines together. I would like to know if there may be a way to sync everything to my MBP but not actually have the stuff on the MBP, just be able to use the MBP as a remote extension of the iMac.

Anyone have a similar setup?

Thanks.

2. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

I have a iMac and a MBA. What i do is i screen share my air at home with my imac and dim the screen to black so i can type and stuff on the Air but its really on the iMac. I just use flash drives for data transfers but u could use Mobile Me's cloud system

3. robbrick thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so do you actually use the iMac to make playlists for music and sync your iPod/iPhone? Or are you screen sharing and doing whatever you need on the iMac through the Air?

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

No like I use my Air only for school so when i have a essay or something i am finishing i just type it on the Air via the iMac Screen but if i want do something that requires the iMac like editing or something wile watching TV I screen share the other way.

My iTunes are no my iMac and i share them as necessary

5. robbrick thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok... I keep hoping that Apple will come out with iTunes server, so one could share the music library and make playlists on any computer on the same network that has rights to share the library. That would be cool!

6. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

that would be cool but i really dont need it