iMac and Macbook, what to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bc008, Apr 20, 2008.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I have posted threads before about my problem, but none of them answered my question.

I really wanted two computers that always shared the same files, programs, etc, but i can access them on the iMac and the Macbook.

how do i do this?

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well if you are trying to keep files and folders synchronized between your two Macs you may want to try Synchronize Pro. This page on version tracker lists various Backup and Sync Programs you may want to peruse.

As for programs and program settings you may have to install and change them manually.

Also have you checked out file synchronization with .Mac. Though it does not seem robust enough for what you are describing.

3. windowpain macrumors 6502a

How about putting all your files on a disk attached to an airport extreme.
    It would save having to sync..

I'm not sure of your exact situation though... but it might be worth a go.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

What about a home server/network drive? This is essentially the same as windowpain's suggestion, but likely a little more stable. Hardwired of course, to ensure connectivity, and you'd still have to force yourself to save everything to the network drive, not on the local drives.
    Sound like a hassle? For home use, it would be. And the fact that your MacBook would need to be hardwired almost all the time, reducing it's portability to near-zero.