iMac and MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmk229, Apr 13, 2010.

1. jmk229 macrumors member

I currently own a 20" iMac that I purchased in August. I am going to be purchasing a MBP in the next week or two. My iMac was my first apple computer.

What I am wondering is all my pictures and music and some software (microsoft office) are on my iMac, am I able to access this via my MBP? I understand how to share music over my network... but anything else? Is there a program or software I can use? I do have my iMac connected to a 1TB timemachine.

Any info or advice would be great!

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

When you get your new MBP it will ask if you want to transfer files and programs over to your new computer if you do this all of your old software should transfer over without any problems.

3. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

If you're talking about accessing it over a network without migrating as the previous poster was saying then... if you already have a wireless network and understand sharing music (presumably iTunes) over that, then its just as simple. As long as your iMac is turned on, it will show up on your MBP in your finder sidebar under "shared" and you can access it just like you were on the machine itself.

4. jmk229 thread starter macrumors member

If I transfer my software to my MBP will it not longer be on my iMac?