iMac and new memory?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by qbert2, Mar 10, 2012.

1. qbert2, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

qbert2 macrumors newbie

A couple years back I had either 1 or 2 gb memory installed into my imac and after probably a yr or 2 it made my computer act horrible because it was faulty somehow. Okay fast forward, I went ahead and bought Patriot 2 gb PC2-5300 677MHz
    http://www.frys.com/product/5546940?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    After installing in the in Bank 0/Bimm0 and booting it. it seem to have work fine. I go out to get something to eat and my dad turned on the computer and didn't want to boot up to desktop screen interface, it just stalls and rainbow mouse ball. it ended up freezing my computer. The reason I bought the memory was to install Lion OSX, which require 2 gb of memory. Right now it has 2gb 512mb. So I removed the 2 gb memory to Bank 1/Bimm1. Started the mac and seem to run fine then. But later in the night the mouse started to act weird like if was harder to move mouse around. the mouse has new batteries. Its seem to be running fine today. I also did pram reboot a few times.

So should I return the memory? If I do that I would be only using 1gb memory. I haven't installed Lion yet until I play with the mac a bit more.

2. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Try testing them with Memtest. Return them if they fail. Your iMac can upgrade up to 4 GB RAM. I get my RAM from here. They have lifetime warranties on them.

3. qbert2 thread starter macrumors newbie

i just returned the memory and got Corsair instead. The imac is expandable to 3gb memory. 2.16 ghz mac 10.5.8, 128mb ati graphics, 160gb, 17 inch intel core 2 duo. it sometimes stalls during restart or booting up the computer. I'm not sure if its the memory, mac hardware, or current mac os software.

4. Elbert C macrumors 6502

It will support up to 4 GB RAM with some limitations.
    Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.16 17-Inch Specs

Run Memtest when you get your new RAM to see if they have any problems.

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck.