iMac and paralells questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MiniD3, Jul 19, 2013.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi Guys
    My daughter is switching to 21" iMac in 3 days time
    She has decided to run paralells to support a windows business program and some other windows uni communication

What is the best way to transfer from the old PC to paralells in the Mac?
    The windows system has been backed up on a portable drive, will this "non Mac formated" drive work in the paralells side of the Mac?

I think the only concern is the business side of the old PC system, I'm sure the rest of the data will be transferred to the Mac side,

lastly,
    Could the lot be transferred to paralells from the start and then shifted to the Mac side at a later date?
    Regards,
    Gary

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

That is really a MS Windows question, if she's running application or has files on her old PC that she wants to run in MS Windows in Parallels then that has nothing to do with OS X or the Mac. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. However if the question is how do you migrate data from a PC to an iMac then the easiest method is when you first turn on the iMac and use Setup Assistant. If she already has the iMac and begun using it then she can still migrate, this time she would use Migration Assistant. She can find MA in Applications - Utilities.

3. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you
    That info at least answers good part of the question,
    Did not know that there was a "migration assistant" , that will be a great help
    Regards,
    Gary

4. Jhthurman macrumors newbie

Transferring a PC to Parallels- this ones easy

Go to the Parallels website and download Parallels Transporter. This is a program you'll run on your PC to create a Parallels Virtual Machine version of you current PC...data, applications, operating system and all. You'll want to do this on an external hard drive to make it quick and easy to install the virtual machine on your iMac.

Once you've created the virtual machine on the external hard drive, connect it to your iMac, install Parallels on the iMac, then once you have Parallels running, migrate the virtual machine onto your iMac using the tools in Parallels. It's actually easier to do than it is to describe.

Once your virtual machine is installed on the iMac, you'll essentially have a clone of your PC inside your iMac....works like a champ. I have my old PC running on both my iMac and MacBook Pro, and it runs just as well, or better, than the old PC ran using Windows 7 Professional!

5. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Much appreciated!
    Thank you for your detailed reply,
    Does not look so daunting now
    ....Gary

6. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

Another alternative...

WinClone will clone your PC which can then be transferred in its entirety to a BootCamp partition on your new Mac. You then have a 'physical' rather than a 'virtualised' Windows partition on your Mac.

Load Parallels on your Mac and implement a linkage between Parallels and your BootCamp partition where your Windows environment resides. This is a simple process.

You then have the best of best worlds.

7. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you,
    Also looks like a good option
    Will have a look at the program,
    ....Gary