iMac and Photoshop Elements

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Newmacer2, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Newmacer2 macrumors regular

I just bought a new iMAC 24" and was about to buy Photoshop Elements 6 from Amazon. Then I read some disturbing reviews about this latest version not working very well, if at all on Macs. Some recommended going with Elements 4, but finding a new version of "4" is impossible. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Been using Elements 6 on my original Macbook for some months as a basic photo editor/viewer and I've had no problems with it . If it runs OK on my Macbook , it should run fine on your iMAC . In fact , it should run better owing to the iMAC having dedicated video .

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

4. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...

...everyone! I read all the comments and following the links (thanks for that too) and guess I'll bite the bullet and buy PSE. The more read, the more I'm thinking I bit off more than I can chew with my new iMAC. I am feeling pretty dumb right now. Snow Leopard? Didn't know there was such a thing and don't know if it is already on my iMAC or if I need to get it. I will research that too. Editing photos is primarily why I bought the iMAC. I heard it was great for graphics. Anyway, thanks again. I'm sure you'll see me here a lot within the next year or so.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Don't worry, you'll catch up quickly.

You might want to consider using some basic guides and things to understand sort of what Mac users are talking about generally... there are lots of good guides on our Wiki...

http://guides.macrumors.com

David Pogue has a really well-liked series of "Missing Manual" for OS X books, although there isn't one for the latest version of OS X. That's what Snow Leopard is -- all versions of OS X (OS Ten -- the major releases are 10.x ... 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, ...) have "cat" names that are used alternatively to their numeric designations. OS X 10.5 was called Leopard and was just replaced a few days ago by Snow Leopard, OS X 10.6. You can click on the Apple icon in the upper left and then click on About this Mac; if the OS version is reported as 10.5.x, you have Leopard, and if it's 10.6.x, you have Snow Leopard.

Since the OS was just revised, I made my comment since I wasn't sure if you were talking about Snow Leopard compatibility or something else...

Anyway, give it time, and try to learn a new thing or two every day, and I think you'll really love it. :)

6. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Once again...

...thanks so much mkrishnan. I was a PCer for 16 years and I guess I forget how much I learned over the years and how trying something new shouldn't be so scary. I can do it again. You and this forum have become my new best friends. I checked the system as you suggested and it says I have 10.5.8. I that the same as 10.6 or do I still need 10.6 to get SL? Thanks again.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Version 10.6 of the Operating System is Snow Leopard... This is analogous to going from Windows Vista to Windows 7, or whatever, although Macs have in the recent years had operating system updates more often (and the jump from Leopard to SL is generally seen as being smaller in terms of differences than the jump from Vista to Win 7, although similar to Windows 7, SL is intended to bring a lot of "under the hood" tuning to make your Mac run more smoothly and efficiently)

You don't need it, but it's a pretty cheap upgrade and you may want it... there are a bunch of threads here discussing what Snow Leopard adds, so you might wish to take a look at those to see if you want it. Depending on how recently you bought this Mac, it costs between $10 and $29.