iMac and Qwest DSL

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Simple Living, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Simple Living macrumors member

I just broke the seal on a brand spankin' new 24" iMac and couldn't be prouder! (Not bad for my first Mac! Buh-bye forever M$!)

I thought my problems were over but now I'm learning that the ISP provider I choose could be just as important for a hassle-free internet experience.

When I had M$, I went through Qwest DSL and never had a problem. Ever. Love Qwest. They're my ISP of choice.

Now, however, since they're bundled with MSN, am I going to have problems? Qwest told me that Macs take more configuring to set up initially but, after that, it will be fine. And it might be. However, I'm concerned with down the line. If I have a problem in, say, eight months and I call for support, they could tell me that they don't do anything more than configure the set-up for Macs, which my Qwest rep did admit to.

I bought an Apple Wireless Router that I intend to use in conjunction with the ISP modem, and have my printer linked to print wirelessly too. (Qwest connection is 7mb.)

My other ISP choices are ComCast and RoadRunner. Other than that, I think it's just Mom-n-Pops. (I live in downtown Minneapolis.)

I'm not sure who to go with. I don't want to download one ISP only to have to delete them for their connection issues and have to try to make sure they're deleted fully from my new system. Help???

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

There is no downloading. You need not and will not have to install any software on your Mac to connect to your ISP, no matter which ISP you choose, especially if you are using a router.

3. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Seriously? I hate being lied to. (By ISP's.) Is it the same for M$ pcs?

If anybody knows, I still need the compatibility question answered. Until then, I'm internetless (at home).

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I have had several ISP's and never installed any software. Most do provide some though, it is mostly a collection of utilities.

Internet is internet, there is no such thing as PC internet or Mac internet. However, as most people use Windows you may have trouble finding ISP tech support that anything about the settings on your Mac if you do have internet trouble.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Get the Broadband Basic package, if they're still calling it that. It's Quest DSL without MSN. You don't get email, web space, etc. Just the raw DSL connection. No software to install, very little to configure... It's what I have, and it works great.

Don't let Qwest make you install MSN. You don't need it.

6. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

They are correct. There is no software that is needed. I used Qwest for a while and I've always used a Mac. The internet service uses global protocols to set up the connection. You'll be fine. Although I would use cable internet if you can. People use the excuse of the more on the slower it is but I've never had a problem and always connect faster than when I had Qwest.

7. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the advice. After speaking to more Qwest service reps, I'm just not comfortable with their iffy information and unsure answers. No confidence.

I signed up with Comcast and the guy will be there tonight to install it.

Thanks again everyone.