Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaMi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Debating whether or not to buy a brand new or refurb imac. Does anyone know if you can get your student discount when buying a refurb imac? And what is the discount? Read other threads about the discounts on imacs & kinda confused. Is there a difference on the discount on a brand new one vs a refurb? Oh another question...which one is better the alum or white? Are the really problems with the wireless in the alum ones?

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
I'm fairly sure you can't use student discount on refurb products.

Student discount is about 6%; Higher Education discount is about 13%. That's in the UK; it might be different where you are.

Easiest thing to do is call Apple on their freephone number and ask them.

marcg007

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Boston area
If I remember correctly...

The student discount on iMacs, laptops, etc is usually about $100.00 off price. I would suggest that you might want to go with a refurb because the price drops are more substantial than what you would get for new. Just looked at apple usa site and checked refurbished prices. They are really good. You can get a 24inch 2.4GHz for $1399.00 so that is a $500.00 dollar difference. Sounds like a really good deal to me and you can still get applecare with it. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.