iMac and Supernait - any opinions?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by winkymacuser, Dec 13, 2007.

1. winkymacuser macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of using a new iMac to play my music. I now have most of my CDs in Apple lossless. I was planning to take the iMac digital output (optical) and feed it straight to my Supernait, which has onboard DACs which I think would be better than the ones in the iMac. Any opinions on how that might work/sound. Also, does anyone have a view on the effect of doing it through an Airport (again using the digital to the Supernait)?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'd bet a lot that the DACs in the Supernait are a LOT better than those in the iMac, so I'd say go for it. If you can avoid wireless, I probably would, just on the theory the more direct connection will sound better as it allows less chance of signal degradation.

3. cql macrumors newbie

I'm also doing the same thing, but a little different. I currently have the nait 5i and will upgrade to the supernait soon. I'm plaining to use my mac mini with an M-Audio audiophile USB to get coax dig to the SNait. From my understanding the coax dig cable will sound better the optical. Let me know how things work out.

4. winkymacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've seen plenty of (general) opinion that the optical digital is not always as good as it should/could be. I'm hoping that the optical system in the iMac is good enough. I'm going to start with a mid-priced Toslink cable and mini-jack/toslink converter, but might drop some more $$ if it seems warranted. Let me know how the M-Audio Audiophile USB works for you. Are you planning to use iTunes or are you using some other music software. Do you know of any third-party I/O devices that use the firewire, or is that just overkill? USB 2.0 should have plenty of bandwidth?

5. winkymacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you ever get your SN? I am now using an Airport Express and toslink digital to the SN DAC. It's pretty good, I think. The Naimiacs over at the Naim forum tell me that a CDX2 will leave it for dead, though. I am planning to try that out at home before committing more $$.

6. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

That's poor deduction. TOSLINK has a higher level of jitter as any other interface, the audio stream is time sensitive at the point of transmission and it's converted between electronic/optical/electronic. If the signal is handled properly across the wi-fi link there's no reason it couldn't be bit-transparent, and it won't be time sensetive. Infact the airport express has been proven bit perfect with 44.1/16. Despite all that I can't make a qualitative decision on your equipment as I know nothing on it, but in terms of a transport WIFI is as good as any. I'd give it a google but mostly let your ears be the guide.

For further information
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/nugent.htm