iMac and unshielded speakers

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 32gb3gwifi, Aug 8, 2011.

1. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

i have an 2011 27" imac and i set up an old sony high fi stereo to it, but my desk is quite small and the speakers have to RIGHT next to it. i know that with the led/lcd screen its a non issue. but what about the hdd and other components inside of the computer.i was thinking that since its a unibody aluminum design it would be naturally shielded, but i would like some more insight, i will add pictures.

2. mac-ho macrumors member

Should be not a problem. Newer technology is not sensitive to EDCRG. I can't spell Electromagnetically Directed Cathode Ray Guns. I just gave myself a headache!!

3. raver001 macrumors newbie

raver001

I don't see it being a problem. I have done this in the passed with bug studio speakers. No issues. Post the pics. Interested to see what it looks like :)

4. karl878 macrumors member

The magnetic field strength of your speakers diminishes inversely proportional to the cube of the distance. So, the external magnetic field would have to be extremely high to exceed the coercivity of the magnetic coating on your HDD. Should be no problem.

5. sth macrumors 6502a

The hard drive is sitting right in the center of the machine so it's probably not a problem.

6. 32gb3gwifi thread starter macrumors member

this is how i had it, but i moved one under the desk since then, you know, because of the paranoia.:D

Attached Files:

7. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

8. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Granted, this was in 2001, but I had a Bondi Blue iMac and similar speakers. I thought it was fine since there was no problem with the CRT monitor, but after a few months my hard drive wiped out. It still functioned physically, but it lost all my information.

Just make sure you have a back up copy of anything you want to keep. Which is valid advice even without speakers next to your hard drive. Obviously this advice is worth what you paid for it. It may have been a coincidence, but I honestly don't think it was random chance.

9. 32gb3gwifi thread starter macrumors member

no, i have a huge computer. lol