iMac and Verizon FIOS

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gsusser, Jun 28, 2012.

1. gsusser macrumors regular

Very strange problem here, though it seems resolved now. But I'm curious as to the cause.

I changed to Verizon FIOS for internet several months ago. On weekends, I would lose connection several (4-6) times daily. [weekdays are hard to judge since I don't use the computer much.] The connection came back when I rebooted the computer or the modem and router.

The strange part is that I didn't lose my internet connection with my iPad or iPhone. [I made sure cellular was turned off and they were both in WiFi mode only.]

Verizon insisted it was an Apple problem simply based on not having problems with any other device. And that seemed to make sense. So, I spoke with a senior Apple tech. We tested everything conceivable and could find nothing wrong with the iMac. Then he checked his database and found 2 almost identical issues, though Verizon was not the provider in either case. In one case, a firmware update for the router solved the problem. In the other, a replacement of the modem or router solved the problem.

Reluctantly, Verizon sent a replacement router. It went down once a short time after. However, that was about 5 days ago and I haven't had an issue since.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

I'll also say that Verizon support is the absolute pits and I have no confidence in them whereas the Apple guy was quite thorough and unbiased, not to mention helpful.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yes. I had Verizon FIOS installed 4 years ago (it's now Frontier Communications here) and had trouble with multiple systems after about 6 months. To quote from my web site, "The Actiontec router [supplied by Verizon] is generally performing well but occasionally would need to be power cycled. Somehow it gets into a mode where wireless computers can't see any other systems on the LAN but only have Internet access. That would be great for guests, but is a problem for general use (I can't get to my printer or server). There doesn't seem to be any setting for this either.

"The extra power of these routers is probably more of a curse than a blessing, and the power cannot be turned down to reduce interference. I had probably the first WIFI on the block, but I recently counted 11 networks visible from within my house. Six of them were Actiontecs (FiOS is getting popular), all set to their default channel 6.

"Disgusted with the problems, I bought an Apple Airport Extreme which I use as a wireless access port, only. I disabled the WAP in the Actiontec. After upgrading a NIC and replacing some CAT5 wire with CAT5e I now have N wireless for my notebook and gigabit Ethernet between my main computer and the server. And all my wireless issues have gone away."

Since then the Actiontec failed altogether and was replaced (by Frontier) with a newer one that has 802.11N which the old one didn't have, but they are otherwise identical. I feel that Actiontec routers are just short of garbage.

3. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Verizon customer service on the phone is terrible but if you go into a store their much better. I fried my router by plugging the wrong ac adapter back into it after doing some cable management. the tech on the phone REFUSED to send me a new router said it was the plug I go im telling you its not the plug. he fought with me. I told him so your gonna send me a plug I wait for it to arrive then we find out its the router and all this time I have no internet? he gos "yes". So he sends the plug the next day im in and out of a verizon fios store with a brand new router. they didnt even test it. other then that and 1 time having to boot the big fios fiber optic box in the basement to get internet back fios has been pretty damn good to me over the past 5 years. 75 down 35 up! Oh yeah.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I had no problems with Verizon's phone-based service, nor with the new Frontier Communication. It's always been smooth and their ability to remotely diagnose problems is a real time saver.

But I have had problems with Verizon's and Frontier's order and billing departments. *Every* service upgrade I've ordered (one back with DSL and two since switching to FIOS) has been screwed up. With the DSL upgrades they would disconnect the service (quickly) and then restore (slowly) without the speed increase. It took them a month of nonsense to make the change, which is typically done at their keyboard! In the case of increased FIOS speeds, in both cases (one with Verizon and one with Frontier) they started billing at the new speed but somehow forgot to increase the service speed.

Also, check their itemized bills. When I added TV to my FIOS with Verizon there was an itemized bill 70+ line items. Turns out there was also a $110 overcharge that I easily got removed, but I did have to find it first!