iMac and VHS project

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aduteau, May 11, 2009.

1. aduteau macrumors 6502a

Hi guys, Im thinking of maybe buying an Imac (Iam sick of cheap PCs with windows... and the Fan noise, and more and more .... anyways :p)

I am going thru the forums here and I see lots of positive posts about Mac (I know this is a Mac forum) but people seem satisfied :)

Anyways here is my question, I have lots of VHS tapes here at home ... and I would like to put them on DVD ... I see that the iMAc comes with iLife ... wich contains iMovies ....
    Could I import my VHS movies onto my iMac ... into iMovies to do some editing ?
    Do I need special cable ?
    Anyone know a step by step thread in these forums that shows me how and if its any good ?

Is there a video in ... and audio in on the iMac ?
    Please help me out ... this is a buy or no buy for me :S

2. GregE macrumors 6502

3. MTI macrumors 65816

Since it's a iMac, a card won't help, but an external USB stick or video tuner, such as the products from Miglia, EyeTV, ATI and Haupaugge would.

4. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

5. aduteau thread starter macrumors 6502a

How about that Miglia product ? anyone tried it ?
    Any good with a VHS tape recorder ?

6. axeldtf macrumors 6502

I use the eye tv hybrid. It's a tv tuner but it also has a connector for RCA cables (the red, white and yellow jacks). I use it all the time to back up my vhs tapes onto my hard drive or a dvd-r. I highly recommend it. It works well with my imac and macbook.

Hope this helps.

7. mastershakess macrumors 6502