IMAC and VR

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AsprineTm, Jan 4, 2016.

1. AsprineTm macrumors member

Its 2016 and Nvidia and AMD are starting there VR marketing campaigns, its going to be the year of VR.
    I noticed that Nvidia positions its GeForce GTX 970 as minimum system requirements. On the subject, thats already a pretty beefy desktop card.

I'm interested in what our thoughts are on the subject of Imac VR support.
    - Will apple join the madness and support VR?
    - Will the current top line Imac GPU's be enough to power VR? (besides the 5K screen)
    - Or do we need to expect more GPU power?
    - Would about interface, would TB3 suit?

Ps. Lets try not to make it an Mac/PC fanboy discussion.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, because Apple doesn't care about games

3. AsprineTm thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your thoughts.
    But as most of us figured out, VR isn't just for games.
    At the moment it will only be the bandwagon to bring it to the masses.
    So maybe Apple will wait until its matured, but somehow i don't think Apple will wait this one out.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think there will be people trying to integrate the technology in many aspects but ultimately it will only be the gaming sector that will see any embrace of VR - just my $..02

5. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I agree with maflynn. I don't see them integrating this anytime soon. However they have surprised in the past, so I might be wrong. But there hasn't been any rumors AFAIK about this either nor any snippets or code found in the OS to support this.

6. AsprineTm thread starter macrumors member

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So?

I stated that there will be people trying to integrate VR, yet for the most part if will only be the gaming sector. What you posted does nothing to counter my opinion or my statement :)

8. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

Think of VR as just another new fad like 3D tv was. Sure, it's out there but does anyone really care? They forced it down peoples throats at the movie theaters but there is as much if not more for the same movie in non 3d mode. People just figured it offered no benefit and were not willing to pay more for no gain.

What is VR going to do for you? It is a wonderful tool for doctors to learn surgery but then again, they are getting better results from 3D printed models. I sure don't need VR to surf the web or write a document so I see no use for it. I live in the REAL WORLD.

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Have you tried it?

Completely different level of game changing awesome.
    3D can't hold a candle to what VR enables.

10. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

Apple does things one of two ways.

1, be there first and make a big splash.
    2, wait for others to make a bunch of crappy versions of things then after all the lessons have been learned, jump in with a refined product right off the bat.

VR has a looooong ways to go before it's going to be mainstream. Those headsets are huge and clunky, the requirements are far beyond any non hardcore gamers rigs, and it's still very very niche. Apple of course is going to have some design people working and tinkering and coming up with stuff but that doesn't mean they're going to release it. History remembers who did it first or who did it best, jumping in to be the second or third without being significantly better/different just isn't their style historically speaking.