iMac and wall mounting

Discussion in 'iMac' started by purpleski, Mar 12, 2013.

1. purpleski macrumors newbie

Hi

I was about to order my first Apple Computer in the guise of an iMac 21.5-inch: 2.7GHz only to discover that you can not wall mount and I have to be able to wall mount. Can one wall mount the 27" model?

I am happy to settle for an older model that is VESA mount compatible with the adapter but I am confused as to which model(s) are VESA mount compatible. Can any body give me the details I am looking for?

Very confusing!

purpleski

2. diepalme macrumors newbie

diepalme

None of the 2012 imacs is VESA compatible anymore. It's really sad. But the older 27-inch iMacs (late 2009, mid 2010, and early 2011) are all VESA compatible! There are some quirky solutions for other models, like http://www.imacmount.com/, but their aesthetic appeal is questionable to say the least....

3. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

As other have stated, as of today, the new iMac is VESA mount compatible :)

4. bordenkecher macrumors member

Now the question is when can I change out the stand for the VESA in my already purchased iMac ... As soon as someone finds this part for sale please post.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

What if it's welded onto the casing, I made a screenshot and enlarged it, can't really see if that's the case but it seems likely it is, if so there will be or there are 3rd party stands.

6. bordenkecher, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

bordenkecher macrumors member

It shouldn't be welded. If you look through this thread there are pictures that show the stand is screwed into an internal bracket that allows for the tilting. So, for a stand to be replaced with a vesa bracket, the case would have to opened up and many of the internal parts moved out of the way to access the stand.

Also, someone could create a vesa bracket for the late 2012 imac on their own, but so far no one has... its just a matter of machining the part, lining up and tapping the screw holes.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

That Link says nothing, in another thread today about the iMac Vesa I uploaded an enlarged screenshot, I'll do here as well, click on it and see for yourself, it might be welded.

Attached Files:

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

no one will know for sure until someone buys one and post pics. The fact that you have to buy a specific model to even be able to leads me to believe that it will not be interchangable with current 2012 imacs.

9. bordenkecher macrumors member

These are two photos from that thread showing the stand clearly held in by screws.... There is also a pdf in that thread showing the stand as a separate, non welded piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

----------

here is the pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/118836055/2012iMac

10. justperry, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I've followed that thread, no need to post pictures, it still says nothing until we see the new Vesa Macs and someone looks into it.
    They are more expensive for a reason.
    The non Vesa mount are like that, this doesn't say anything about the new one.

I think it is welded for the simple reason that Apple does not want seems or unprofessional looking devices.

Here's what I found:
    Seems like it is welded.

[​IMG]

11. bordenkecher macrumors member

Too continue the argument...
    -The new bracket looks very similar to older versions and will most likely function similarly.
    -It would be much easier, less work, less time, to screw in a bracket to sockets that already exist than weld one into place (less to go wrong).
    -They're charging more b/c they're considering the vesa option a "feature." Your typical user doesn't care about a vesa bracket. So from a business stand point, they're charging more b/c the people that want this will pay more.

As far as the image is concerned - that "seamless" section along the case and bracket looks like a piece of grey plastic (there to prevent scraping b/w the aluminum). The other apple vesa brackets have this.