iMac and Windows Desktop Advice - re gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robjulo, Jan 20, 2013.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

I plan to upgrade some of the computers in the house. I plan to get an iMac (for word processing, itunes, Aperture and iMovie). I also need to upgrade my windows desktop (which is only used for gaming).

I think I have two options:

1) Get a top of the line iMac 27inch with the 680mx, bootcamp with Windows and ditch my old windows desktop. Use the iMac for business and gaming.

2) Get a lesser iMac (potentially a refurb from last year) and go a head and build a new windows desktop.

I largely play flight simulators (FSX) and military simulators/shooters (Armed Assault series). I would think Option 2 is probably a little bit more expensive (but not much so especially if I get a refurb iMac since I can build a desktop for about $1200). Option 2 would be more flexible and probably more powerful as I would build it myself.

Does anyone have experience with the types of games I play on the new iMacs with the 680mx. Any two-cents on my options is appreciated.

2. Claust macrumors newbie

Go for option 1
    The iMac is a fantastic gaming machine with bootcamp. My 2011 Was, and my new 2012 Will be even better :)

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

Agreed, option 1. I'm so pleasantly surprised by just how well this thing games!

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The only reason not to go option 1 IMO is if you need to worry about multiple people needing to share computer time so their productivity gets in the way of your gaming. That aside, the 680MX iMac has nearly equivalent gaming performance to what many custom builders end up with ( if you're ok with bootcamp ).

5. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I appreciate the input. I'm planning to order a high end 27 with the 680mx.

6. joeholl1979 macrumors member

I just did the same thing. I'm a PC gamer and I never owned a Mac. I ended up getting the 27" with the upgraded processor, 1TB Fusion drive and upgraded 2GB video card.

YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY! I am running Battlefield 3 on Windows through Bootcamp and the video settings are on max, and it runs like silk! I'm very happy that I decided not to rebuild a PC, and don't think I'll ever go back to PC again (which is a little sad because I love building my gaming rigs).

Honestly, I could have probably been completely fine with the 27" and the 1GB video card, but I figured if I'm spending that much money I might as well get the big boy.

7. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Option 1.

I considered this (iMac + gaming PC), but the issues were:

a) I'd end up with another machine on my desk *and* need the space for another screen. Unless I was going to blow $800+ on a Dell 27xx panel, that second display was going to be a cheapie next to the iMac's
    b) There's no way to (currently) get DisplayPort from a PC video card to Thunderbolt (in) on an iMac, in order to run it in target display mode.

A 27" iMac + 680MX is pretty powerful, and although a PC with a desktop 680 would be better, you'd lose the display and have to manage a second machine.

8. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up getting the 27 inch, 3.4, 680mx and 1tb fusion drive.

I plan to get an oem copy of windows 7 64 bit, run bootcamp and ditch the old windows desktop.

Thanks for all the input.

9. Isengardtom macrumors member

I just installed windows 8 today
    Works great

The 680mx is a great gaming GPU

Batman Arkham city ( via Mac AppStore) and Skyrim ( via bootcamp - windows8) run great on Ultra in native res ( 1440p). No lag whatsoever so far

The iMac also stays nice and cool ( a little warmer around the vent, but not at all like the previous gen)

I would say with this upgrade they narrowed the gap somewhat with windows gaming machines

10. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Option 1, but only because $1200 isn't quite enough money to really make option 2 a more compelling option... w/ a big enough budget I'd go option 2 all the way.

11. Fifemacuser macrumors member

Not that this I what I did, but you did have another option. You could have bought a Mac mini for you mac needs and a gaming rig, and bought whatever monitor you wanted.

I just wanted the one machine and its the final bit of my mac ecosystem switch. iad, iphone, apple tv! (and I am sure it won't disappoint!:)

12. FuriousGreg macrumors member

You've already chosen, but for others unsure the 680mx is pretty awesome.