Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonno74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Hi All

I need a little bit of advice or help

I have a a new 2020 iMac 27"
specs
3.6ghz i9 10 care
Radeon Pro XT 5700 16GB
72Gb RAM
2TB Storage

my query is i have windows 10 installed under bootcamp as i play some windows games etc. the problem is Windows is very laggy and especially on Startup and when clicking on the start button or my pc etc and i dont know or understand why as i have checked the startup items and all i seem to have is the graphics driver, onedrive, bluetooth, bootcamp windows security and malwarebytes ( i turned auto scanning off on malwarebytes and its still the same.

Also on the imac side the system seems slow at times especially on shutdown and even on reboot etc

I currently have Big Sur installed but has anyone else experienced this and have any thoughts or experiences and fixes etc.

Any thoughts or suggesttions ? or is it just me

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
How big is your BootCamp partition? How much space is free on it?

Is all your RAM the same? That is, is it all Apple RAM or all 3rd party RAM bought at the same time? There are reports that mixing and matching different RAM hurts performance on the 2020 iMacs. With 72GB it sounds like you are mixing say 2x32GB 3rd party and 2x4GB Apple. Try taking out the Apple RAM and see what happens to performance.

Jonno74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
How big is your BootCamp partition? How much space is free on it?

Is all your RAM the same? That is, is it all Apple RAM or all 3rd party RAM bought at the same time? There are reports that mixing and matching different RAM hurts performance on the 2020 iMacs. With 72GB it sounds like you are mixing say 2x32GB 3rd party and 2x4GB Apple. Try taking out the Apple RAM and see what happens to performance.
I have partitioned the 2TB Storage 1TB each, so I have 888 free on windows partition

Also I don’t think it’s the RAM as I first noticed it was laggy when I had only 8gb Apple RAM installed whilst waiting for third party RAM to arrive

any more thoughts ?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
It could have been lagging prior to the RAM upgrade due to only having 8GB.

If you haven't run a memory test since installing the new memory I would suggest running that.

I note that on OWC's website (https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/imac-2019-27-inch) they say "NOTE: For 27-inch iMac (2020) models — iMac20,1 and iMac 20,2 — OWC recommends that all DIMMs be the same capacity, speed, and manufacturer to ensure optimal memory performance."

Other things you can do is see if you can find any Windows 10 drivers that are more up to date than what comes with Bootcamp for things such as the graphics card etc.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi All

I need a little bit of advice or help

I have a a new 2020 iMac 27"
specs
3.6ghz i9 10 care
Radeon Pro XT 5700 16GB
72Gb RAM
2TB Storage

my query is i have windows 10 installed under bootcamp as i play some windows games etc. the problem is Windows is very laggy and especially on Startup and when clicking on the start button or my pc etc and i dont know or understand why as i have checked the startup items and all i seem to have is the graphics driver, onedrive, bluetooth, bootcamp windows security and malwarebytes ( i turned auto scanning off on malwarebytes and its still the same.

Also on the imac side the system seems slow at times especially on shutdown and even on reboot etc

I currently have Big Sur installed but has anyone else experienced this and have any thoughts or experiences and fixes etc.

Any thoughts or suggesttions ? or is it just me

On Windows, open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del then select Task manager) to check 2 points:
- Temp and usage of CPU, GPU.
- Which processes are occupying CPU/RAM

This may help you diagnose the issue.

fs_at12

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
Hi Juno74

I have the same configuration, iMac 2020 i9, and bootcamp Windows 10.
And windows is also laggy at startup and the system at all.
Do you figured out something?
I think it has to do with the 5k Display? it's not native in windows, so windows has to scale the display up to 200%, maybe this process make the system laggy.
But I can not read anything from the task manager, everything seem to be correct, no peeks or something it is not OK.
I had before an iMac late 2013 with the same system, windows bootcamp at it worked fine, it still booted faster than the new 2020 imac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.