iMac and WOW

Discussion in 'iMac' started by slipper, Apr 16, 2009.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Trying to convince my friend to buy a Mac since his PC crashed. His biggest requirement is that it plays World of Warcraft. Will the built in GeForce 9400M GPU be sufficient?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It will.... but if all he cares about is WoW, he'll get better FPS running Windows, not to mention pay about 1/2 as much for the computer.

3. The Hammer macrumors regular

I've been told it won't play it very well. Try searching iMac gaming.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Sure it will. I have it set to med/high settings on my MacBook Pro and works more than well. Running anywhere from 50-60+ fps of course depending where you are, obviously fps is going to suffer with a crowded area even with a PC gaming rig.

5. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

I've played for a while on my iMac, I have the 8800GS, played with all settings on high while running a second monitor and had nothing but positive experiences. Crisper video than my friend's homebuilt PC.

I wouldn't worry about having problems with WoW on any iMac.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Also, if WoW is THAT important to your friend and he's considering a Mac, WoW supposedly runs even better in Windows (through Boot Camp) than it does on a Mac so it's a win-win regardless.

7. Tymbo macrumors regular

Ask your buddy if he'd like his screen to look like this with Ultra settings and 8x multisampling at 132 FPS (in an empty Ironforge) would be 30+ fps in Dalaran.

if he says yes and has the cash, tell him 4850 is the way to go. however, many that have been shipped have been freezing, so you/he might want to wait a week.

Attached Files:

8. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

It sounded like his biggest requirement is WoW, not his only requirement.

Get him on a Mac and he'll find out that computers are actually good for WoW and other things too. ;)

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have two friends playing WoW with GeForce 6000 series, 512mb RAM ~2GHz single core processor. They're happy with even while it runs WoW less than 30FPS.

10. maverick72 macrumors member

+1 for the imac with ati 4850

That Ultra setting is so incredible.