iMac annoying start up chime !

Discussion in 'iMac' started by illestswag, May 9, 2013.

1. illestswag macrumors newbie

I just recently got this Late iMac 2012, and i can't seem to mute the start up chime, I just muting my computer and then turning if off and starting it back on, but it still gives me a LOUD CHIME ! is there any solution to this ? or should i call apple ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The chime (in different forms) has been part of Macs since the Macintosh 128k. All you can do is lower the volume before shutting down and it should start up with the lower volume.

There may be software out on the net to hack a change but the change but I'm unfamiliar with any options.

To me, its music to my ears :)

3. illestswag thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried lowering the volume, but still gives a very loud start up chime, its so loud, if i turn on the imac, it will wake everyone up !

4. garevans macrumors newbie

Chime

If the computer volume is muted, there should be no chime. If you have speakers plugged in. Disconnect, mute volume, reconnect speakers (volume should go back to where it was).

If you do not have speakers plugged in and the computer is still chiming when muted, try a PRAM reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11243

Good luck!

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Another option is to just put the iMac to sleep instead of shutting down.

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

There is no reason to turn off a Mac, just let it sleep or even better put the display to sleep. The startup tone is there for a reason, it's a diagnostic tone and will help you in the future. There are third party tools that mute it however IMHO installing them is stupid because then you are messing with the system software and cannot properly execute diagnostics or resets. In short leave it alone and put the computer or display to sleep.

7. chukronos macrumors 6502

Mine does it, too. Regardless of if I have it on mute or not. But, I rarely shut down, so it isn't a problem for me.

8. macthefork macrumors 6502

Just turn it way down. Unplug anything connected to the audio output, and then in System Preferences > Sound, turn it down so you can barely hear it. That's what I did on my 2011 iMac, and many other Macs I've done this to. And it works fine. Doesn't affect the audio level if you're using an external sound system plugged into the Mac.

The start-up chime is whisper quiet in mine. Although, I can still hear it.

9. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

its also useful if you have bootcamp since it tells you when to press the button to launch it.

10. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

11. WilliamG macrumors 604

I remember that link coming up last time someone asked about it. It didn't work for me, or anyone else in the thread for that matter, at least with 2012 iMacs if my memory serves.

The only way to be sure (that I know of) your Mac isn't going to chime on boot is to make sure not headsets/headphones/external audio cards are connected, and then to mute the system volume before reboot.

12. illestswag thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the help ! I fixed it, it was due to the external speakers.
    I unplugged it and turn it off and it was quiet ! Im very happy with this iMAC !