iMac - Aperture is Laggy

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DiegoFrancisco, Apr 9, 2013.

1. DiegoFrancisco macrumors member

Hi all, just got a new late-2012 iMac, i5, fusion drive, 680, 8GB RAM. I carried over everything from my previous MacBook via Time Machine...very snappy but Aperture will hang for anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds when thumbing through photos. Looks like I have roughly 1 GB RAM free, but it will jump to pretty much totally full sporadically.

Is 8GB really not enough to run iTunes, Aperture, and Safari simultaneously? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    D

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Depends on what photos you're flicking through and the size of the library.

I've got mid 2011 iMac with i5. Generally it's snappy at flicking through photos but can get bogged down at times. My RAW files are in the 30mb region.

Aperture loves RAM so I would recommend 16gb. Since I upgraded I rarely hit any bottlenecks with Aperture.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try running Aperture stand alone and see if that improves performance - if so then its a ram issue. Did you try rebuilding the thumbnails? They may improve performance a tad

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

21" or 27"? If 27", then a RAM upgrade is trivial and inexpensive. How large is your library?

My new machine is high end... 768GB SSD, 32GB RAM, 680 graphics, etc. all aspects of Aperture are instantaneous. I am not sure which of the above made the most difference. My library is pushing 400GB.

/Jim

5. vladfein macrumors regular

I don't think 680 is available on 21.5"

6. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Also, have you tried pressing Command + Alt when opening and doing a repair/rebuild? Might help...

7. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I have had a small lag issue, but that turned out to be my library being on an external USB3 drive, and the drive spinning down. I created a second library for actual editing on the Fusion drive, and that solve the problem.

8. DiegoFrancisco thread starter macrumors member

Wow thanks for all the input everyone. I ran Aperture solo after a restart, and it's flying...must either be that I should get more memory, or that there's some process(es) that bog down my computer after it's been on for a while.

Any experiences with the latter? I ported everything over from my old macbook of 7 years via time machine, which means that any gradoo that I picked up over the years would theoretically now be on my new computer. Any programs that clean up unnecessary processes?

Thanks again,
    D