iMac >> Apple TV

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FLT, Nov 8, 2014.

1. FLT macrumors newbie

How does one get the content of your iMac to display on Apple TV? Can you open folders and apps from Apple TV?

Thanks

2. jbuk1 macrumors member

You can mirror or extend your desktop so it either shows exactly what's on your screen. This will lower the res on your imac screen to 1080p though to match your TVs or you can have it as a wireless second monitor.

You can also air play direct from iTunes if you just wanted to show a video or music on the screen.

The Apple TV will also pick up stuff from iTunes if you have home sharing turned on.

3. mrmarts, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

mrmarts macrumors 65816

Your Apple TV has two options you can either.

1.To watch Movies or TV's you purchased from the iTunes store select Movies or TV shows in the Apple TV's main menu.

2. To directly stream content such as dubbed movies or tv shows from your iMac you can select Computers in the Apple TV main menu.

3. The only way you can view folders is by selecting the Apple TV icon at the top dock of OSX, and selecting the Apple TV from the drop down menu. This allows you to mirror your desktop to the Apple TV.

4. As you cannot physically download apps on the Apple TV, the only way you can use apps on the Apple TV is through the Airplay function this allows you to mirror what app you are using on your iOS device to the TV. You can also use airplay to stream movies, tv shows and pictures that you are viewing on your iOS device. To use airplay there is TV icon on the toolbar menu.

Some important Tidbits

1. Dubbed movies must be in M4V i do not have a blu ray burner so to convert my DVDs I use a program called Ripit or you can download a freeware program called Handbrake.

2. The Apple TV must be connected to the internet whether wirelessly or physically via a ethernet connection.

Hope this helps.

4. FLT thread starter macrumors newbie

mrmarts,

"... by selecting the Apple TV icon at the top dock of OSX, and selecting the Apple TV from the drop down menu. ..."

Are you saying I can select Apple TV from the Dock at the bottom of my screen?

Attached Files:

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Perhaps you can explain what content you are interested in viewing? For example, I have a library of about 500 movies stored on my iMac and watch them on my AppleTV, I also have a library of thousands of photos stored in Aperture that I view via my ATV.

----------

Perhaps you can explain what content you are interested in viewing?

I have a library of about 500 movies stored on my iMac and watch them on my AppleTV, I also have a library of thousands of photos stored in Aperture that I view via my ATV. If you are interested in something similar then we can be more specific.

6. FLT thread starter macrumors newbie

Atv

No. I want to see/manipulate my desktop, i.e. icons, folders and apps. Is this possible?

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Absolutely! Assuming your iMac is a 2011 or later model. That feature is called AirPlay. You can read up about it at http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201343

If you have an older iMac you can still do it but need a third party tool called AirParrot, just Google it and you can find a lot of information on it.

----------

Assuming your iMac is a 2011 or later model. That feature is called AirPlay. You can read up about it at http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201343. You can display content using the AppleTV.

If you have an older iMac you can still do it but need a third party tool called AirParrot, just Google it and you can find a lot of information on it.

8. FLT thread starter macrumors newbie

Airplay

I have a 2009 iMac, so I'll look into AirParrot.

Thanks