iMac Applecare Horror Story! AppleCare Fail!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ak907Freerider, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Ok kind of a long story but here it goes.

I purchased a refurbished 27-inch iMac about a year and a half ago. From out of the box I had issues with it freezing and using lots of ram, upwards of 16-20gb of ram. I was on the phone weekly for months with applecare trying to get this fixed. Nothing worked. At one point while on the phone with a senior tech my screen started flashing from black to normal. So I brought it into our Applestore for them to find the problem and fix this. Mind you this was after over 14 calls to Applecare. Each call lasting anywhere from 1 hr to 5 hrs.

Upon dropping off the iMac the "genius" and myself looked over the iMac for any damage before signing off for repair. It was flawless condition. We both agreed on the condition and off it went. 3 days goes by and they call me and tell me my iMac is FINALLY repaired and ready to go. I head to the store that night and out walks a kid with my iMac. I was shocked it was flithy covered in dirty finger prints and black smudges. I look over the iMac and notice the stand has several deep scratches in it. I got the attention of the same "genius" who checked it in. He looked at it said "Ya they will wipe off" he tries to wipe off the stand, but the scratches are to deep. So he just walks off. I flag him down again and he says "Well I can't say we did those or you just did those" and once again just turns and walks off. So not wanting to make a scene I loaded it back into its box and home it went. Next morning I called the store manager and explained what happened he agreed to order me a new stand. Not a good visit.

So a few days goes by and I finally get a free night to try out my fixed iMac. Turn it on and what do you know SAME PROBLEM! So I call Applecare and request a screen share to show them the iMac was failing. So we spend another several hours trying everything under sun to find problem. He finally thinks it is me upgrading to Mavricks and wants to send me a snow leopard disk. He also thinks my logic board is failing and tells me he can set up a in house repair so I don't have to drag iMac back to the mall. Mind you this is the 18th tech I spoke to and the first to agree they have in house repair, all other techs told me they don't have that.

Anyhow I agree and he tells me he will send a snow leopard disk and call me back to set up in house logic board repair on Monday. This was on Fri. So Monday nothing, tues nothing, weds nothing. Finally thurs I call them, typical applecare Ive been told over and over they will call me back but never do to follow up. So now I have a new tech because after leaving message with original tech he never calls back after 7 hours, so got a new tech.

Also forgot to add I did a test myself to try and find problem. I installed my Lacie little big disk as my boot drive with Mavrick, annnnnnnd no problems. Works perfect no issues. So obviously it is the internal HDD.

I get the new tech tell him the situation and how I'am tired of dealing with the lack of service and followup. I told him about the external Lacie hdd working flawlessly as my boot now with no ram issues or freezing. He is baffled and says he still wants to change the logic board leave my interal HDD in and see what happens. Kinda a waste of time. So he tells me I should have heard from the in house tech people, they are a private company. Well I haven't heard a thing. Now he wants me to wait even longer for them to call. Now remember this computer has been down for over a year and I have documented 24 calls to AppleCare, also 3 visits to the Applestore all together all with it failing. I'am beyond frustrated.

The tech tells me it will be at least 2-3 weeks until they will instal the logic board, then if that doesn't work will be another 2-3 weeks to schedule and change HDD. This isn't even considering the flashing screen I get on occasion which is probably the video card.

So now Iam about half through my AppleCare warranty and still have a broken iMac unless I run on a external. I feel they are just pushing this out so I run out of warranty and then go "Oooooh sorry your out of warranty" Then Im stuck with a $2000 paper weight. Anyone else gone through something like this? I think Apple should stop jerking me around and take this doomed iMac back and they can deal with it on their own dime and time and exchange it out for a working iMac. A year and a half without it getting fixed is ridiculously long time. Anyhow just thought I would share and maybe someone here can guide me in the right direction to get this working. Any advice would be helpful because Iam at a loss with Apple.

2. Carlos840 macrumors member

Without trying to be annoying, i think it was a mistake to keep a computer hat was crashing in the first place, and not send it back within the first 14 days.

My current computer , 2009 24" inches took me four exchanges before i had one that worked and had a good screen.

I have been trying to buy a current generation 27" for a month, sent the first one back because it froze randomly when using USB speakers or the built in mic.
    Sent the second one back because the screen was bad.

I just canceled my order and asked for a refund because i have a feeling the crashing because of USB audio interfaces will not be fixed for a while and i am sick of being a guinea pig.

With apple prices i expect perfection, if it's not perfect, it's going back within the first 14 days. They always try to send me to the "genius bar" first, i am not having it, if it doesn't work out of the box, it goes back.

I hope you get it sorted one way or another, if you don't learn from it...

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

OP: you can try tcook@apple.com

Calmly explain the issue and problems with applecare / retail /geniuses etc ..

Send them all the paperwork that you have of course copies... and wait for response from tcook@apple.com team .. :eek:

4. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

I sent a email to Tim cook on Friday explaining as best I could all the steps I have gone through. I received a call from a apple tech this morning regarding the email. He told me to give him 24 hrs. And he will call me back to "resolve this situation." Whatever that may be. I hate to say this but I think I got a lemon and even with a repair I have a bad feeling about this iMac. So hopefully they take it back and I get a working machine not waiting for endless repairs on this one.

5. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Maybe they'll tell you to go to the store with it to trade for a brand new one.

6. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

I really hope so it is getting hard to be patient after this many attempts at repairing the iMac. Like today my new AirPort Extreme failed so I call AppleCare do all the normal stunts. Unplug reset etc. won't work. They tell me to bring in to Genius Bar. Do that he plugs it in says it's turning on but since I purchased it through best buy he can't connect it to his store it's against policy. Also he can't exchange in store for a new one that he will ask manager if he can order one. Then tells me to go to best buy to try and return their. Lol here we go again. Iam blown away I bought into the apple system only to find out it is all shiney boxes and fake customer support. The AirPort Extreme is 5 weeks old well within warrenty.

7. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it's the end of the workday. No call as I was told I would receive from apple. # not that surprised.

8. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

You are totally right. I was mislead by all the hype and talk you hear about their customer service that I didn't think it would escalate this far and long. When you call they are always very friendly and they all say they will take care of it. Yet soon as you hang up they forget all about you and following up on their word. Pretty disappointing. Hope this game ends soon. But yes you are correct I should of returned at first sight of failure. At first I just assumed it was osx. Didn't even know about activity monitor etc. but the more I looked the uglier the situation got.

9. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep blown off again by even a apple executive. Haha this is such a joke. Well tomorrow is a new day will give them one more day then.....well I dunno what? Craigslist it and cut my losses I guess. Hope apple comes through this is embarrassing service on their part.

10. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I've had relatively good luck with apple both send-in repair and walk-in store repair. Try seeing if you can send it into Apple (they will FedEx you a overnight box) and hopefully they just fix it. If that doesn't happen I would be tech savvy and take apart the iMac and put in a SSD so that way you have a good machine since it sounds like the HDD is bad.

11. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

Very tempting to just fix myself since obviously apple doesn't fix their products. Haha they can't even find what is broken. Yep another morning blown off by apple executive.

12. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

Well just got off phone they won't exchange. They want to keep trying to fix. Was purchased oct. 9, 2012 problem first reported October 14th. Doesn't matter they said they feel they can fix it. Haha what a joke. So back to shop it goes.

13. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Has it been documented as "repaired" three times for the same thing?

Has it actually been left in the service center for that? Have they claimed they fixed it, three times.

Three is the catapult, you'll usually get a replacement at that point. This is not unheard of even at the very end of the Applecare timeframe.

14. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

This will be the 4th shop "repaired" visit. They claim it works great I bring it home and it fails. Flashing screen, freeze with beach ball and will use a insane amount of ram. 16 plus. I've shown them 6 times in screen sharing. Have 18 calls to AppleCare. This is ridiculous

15. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Okay, so the 4th means it's been in for the same thing three times. This time, once they acknowledge there is a problem, I would be reminding them that "three times" is it.

Time for a replacement.

16. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem is they couldn't even find the problem. I had to find it for them. Pretty pathetic. So by them playing the oh we no find problem card they just buy more time. If I wouldn't of even found problem they would still be lost. If it isn't on their cue card they don't understand it.

17. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

Well just a little update on the joke of AppleCare. Got a call from apple telling me my parts are in and to bring down for "repair". So that day I load it up and bring to store only to have then tell me they are not taking any computers in for repair due to the holidays. After a hour of literally pleading with store they finally take it in. I told them to call when it is completely done. 3 days goes by then a apple executive calls says it's done that he talked to manager of store and it's all ready.

So once again go to store. I tell them I'm here for my iMac. About 10 mins goes by then two managers approach me and give me some news. Yep not done yet they are still waiting on parts. Hahaha what a joke. So now 3 more days have passed still no word. Even after I was told parts are on hand ready to install. Just another day of the joke of appleidontcare.

18. breiti macrumors newbie

Much respect to your endurance. I would have already yelled at someone at a Store and wouldn't leaved without an exchange. :-/

19. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha well I know they knew I was pissed. But chose to just walk away after manager told me that. He was still rambling on how sorry he was as I just turned and walked off mid sob story. I swear I'm waiting for them to show me the cameras that I must be on. I have 3 family members that wanted to get a Mac but they for sure don't want one now after seeing how they treat repairs after sales.

I should record some of these interactions with apple post them on YouTube for all to see.

20. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    If someone from Applecare calls you again to say your iMac is ready to be picked up, I would ask them to make sure it's noted in their system that this is the case - get a ticket or reference number for their phone call to you and a name if possible. Then when you get to the store to be told it's not done, I would then get on the phone to Applecare at the store and ask them why they told you to waste your time going there. Make sure you do this out in the open with the store team leader or manager present. Try to get them on your side, as having both Applecare and the store looking guilty will not be helpful. Store managers have a lot of leeway in what they can do to satisfy customers and having them on your side should help.

Your state most likely has laws regarding lemons and if I were you I would let them know you know your rights (do some research). At some point, if you really do have an unfixable iMac, they'll have to give you a new one.

The fact that you bought it as a refurb is telling - it was most likely bad to begin with and their refurb process did not fix the problem, which you've been living with and trying to fix since then. I would hope that once this unit is deemed junk, that they don't try to "fix" it again and put it back into the system as a refurb again.

21. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

This is a really sad story and seems quite contrary to my experience with AppleCare and the apple store. I've typically had nothing but good experiences and, if I got a bad Genius Bar rep one time, the next time I got an awesome one.

I also can't believe Tim Cooke didn't order a replacement. MacRumors has a large reader base and the more people read this, the greater the doubt will be in AppleCare or Apple products.

Hope you get some good news soon!

22. Boomish69 macrumors 6502

Boomish69

Likewise I simply can't imagine an apple store being like this, I've had nothing but helpful people in 10 years of owning various Mac's. EG I took my sister in law's Macbook Pro into a genius the other day 4 years since it's purchase, but it had developed a graphics problem due to faulty AMD chips, (PC's had same problem) , the guy not only was overly sorry for the problem but upon inquiring for a repair said as there were no longer parts for the machine he was going to give me a brand new Macbook Pro! He also told me I could keep the original! I got it fixed via third party soldering company who fitted a new chip and gee it to my daughter & my sister inlaw was over the moon with a new machine, now thats service beyond the normal!
    Besides I always was under the impression if it's not fixed after 3 attempts they replace the machine.

23. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Some random thoughts:

- A machine using 20GB of RAM isn't likely going to be a hardware issue from the offset. Are you sure you didn't originally misunderstand activity monitor's memory reporting?

- Apple keep documented notes about the condition of a machine. If there were no scratches on the stand when you brought it in, this will be on the paperwork, and they will have always given

- I'm really not sure how a hard drive would be causing a flickering screen, unless I've misunderstood the issue?

Also - it's the Christmas period - they're going to be busy. They can't just drop everything and repair YOUR machine there and then, especially if they needed to order more parts. If they were waiting for parts, they don't have them on hand. They have to order them and wait for them to come in. They can't just magic parts out of thin air. Even if they had the parts - there may have been people with machines who had been waiting longer for a machine to be repaired - would you be happy calling those people and asking if they minded you butting in the queue?

Also - you won't get a replacement machine - you bought a refurb, they don't replace refurbs. If it's what you're after - let me give you some advice - the store can do nothing other than repair refurbs. If you want a new machine, the only way you're going to go about it is through customer relations (ask to speak to them when you call Applecare) and then asking them to refer it to the online store to process a refund. Then you can buy another refurb with the refund.

Either way - speaking as someone who's pretty experienced repairing these things - I don't see how the HDD could cause the problems you're facing. A clean repartition and reinstallation of OS X on the internal drive is most likely all you need.

P.S. Try being nice to the genius/managers. If you come across like an ass (which, no disrespect, but that's what I'm imagining from the tone of your posts) they ain't gonna want to help you. Be nice, they'll want to help you.

24. Ak907Freerider, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

Well just a update. I was told all parts were on hand and ready for install, was not the case. Second thing was told by apple executive to bring in that day. I did was told they wouldn't take it. Also got call from apple that repair was done, yep wasn't done still waiting on parts that I was told they had on hand.

Anyhow they replaced hdd and logic board. Now it works flawless. Close to year and a half later they finally fixed it. As I said running off external thunderbolt hdd worked perfect. Yet internal hdd caused lots of issues. Just very disappointed in all the hoops I had to jump through to show apple the problem. If I hadn't of bought that external hdd I'm quite sure I would still have a paper weight. So I'm out $240 for external that I no longer need. And out 1.5 year of AppleCare when it failed 5 days out of box. Would of been better off repairing myself and not deal with endless run around. 1 hr swap hdd heck throw in a ssd even and still less than AppleCare.

25. breiti macrumors newbie