iMac Applecare question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by andychris02, Jun 4, 2009.

1. andychris02 macrumors member

Hi,

I bought an iMac on the 24th of June 2008 and I didn't buy Applecare with it, I am looking at getting it now in the next day or so.

My question is this, am I still able to get Applecare now or is it too late?

I have been into a couple of Apple shops here and I have been told that I can get it before my initial years warranty has run out by one guy and another guy told me that I had to get it within the first 3 months of buying my Mac, so I am not too sure what the deal is.

Thanks in advance.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

As mentioned you've got one full year so in your case you must purchase it no later than June 24th. To be on the safe side I'd recommend you buy it a few days earlier. eBay auctions are the cheapest but I bought mine at L.A. Computer for a great discount off the Apple price.

I recommend Applecare for the iMac highly.

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

My iMac's warranty expires in... uhhh... 5 days. lol

On Saturday I'm gonna go into the new Apple store in Roseville (front page of macrumors) and pick it up. The student price is $119 I believe.

5. britboyj macrumors 6502a

MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER IT AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME!

Applecare's system works by when the product was registered, not when the Applecare was bought!

6. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

u still got 20 days left wuts the hurry lol. Yeah, buy and register as soon as you have a chance.

7. andychris02 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies, will go get Applecare tomorrow.

8. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I guess I am advising against AC-It just hardly seems worth it. I am probably in the minority here, but Apple has posted so many exclusions, it seems they can get out of most any repair.

Check out my issue with a Mac Mini and Applecare:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=707129

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Sorry to hear about your negative experience.

I have used my Applecare coverage on several occasions for my iMac and have yet to experience the slightest problem. They replaced the entire LCD panel twice on this machine, the first time for an area of discoloration and the second time for a backlight gradient that caused the right portion of the screen to be darker than the left.

I did decide to save the $120 for Applecare on my first iMac, a 20" Core Duo. I thought "what are the odds something will go wrong?!". Then, 6 weeks out of the one year warranty the logic board failed and I ended up out of pocket $550 to replace it just so I could sell the machine and get a new one. I made sure to buy Applecare this time. ;)

If nothing else, the coverage will increase the resale value of the machine should you decide to sell it during the 3 year coverage period.

For the iMac, it is only $5 a month for the extra 24 months of coverage it offers, even cheaper if you buy it on eBay. :p