Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I will be moving to a new house soon, and buying a Macbook in the process. My old iMac (2.0ghz 20" Aluminum 3gb RAM 10.5) will no longer be under heavy usage, and I am making that the family computer. I was wondering if, in addition to running Safari, Office, iWork, and iLife, it could be used as a decent media server. I have a 400gb iTunes library on an external disk, and will keep it there, plugged into this iMac. I will soon be purchasing an Apple TV as well, but seeing as my iTunes is too large for either Apple TV (I don't want to hack), I will need some kind of server. This computer will remain on nearly 24/7, most likely in the kitchen or office.

First, is it capable enough for this job? Second, how can I sync my iPod from the Macbook if the library is stored on the iMac? Third, how well will it perform as a wireless server, if it needs to? Fourth, is putting my server in the kitchen a bad idea? Thanks for the help!

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Yeah i think it should be fine to run as a server. I do however recommend getting a direct wired Ethernet so that the streaming will be as fast as possible.

UrFatMom

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
First, is it capable enough for this job?

YES

Second, how can I sync my iPod from the Macbook if the library is stored on the iMac?

Point the macbook's itunes to the iMac
http://theappleblog.com/2008/10/13/one-itunes-library-on-multiple-computers/

Third, how well will it perform as a wireless server, if it needs to?

Depends of your router... I'd say use Ethernet

Fourth, is putting my server in the kitchen a bad idea?

Anything else then eating is bad in the kitchen IMO

Thanks for the help!

NP

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Thanks guys. I was liking the idea of a kitchen-puter ;). I may end up putting it in the office or basement with ethernet. I have 2 Airport Extremes and an Express, so I will be OK regardless on wireless, although it will definitely slow down the network under heavy load. That article is very interesting, and I may test that now between my current iMac and the other family iMac. Any ideas on the speed of a cross-network sync? I will most likely use screen sharing to manipulate the iMac from my room. In addition, I may set up an AIM screen name solely for the purpose of easy remote control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.