Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

hitek79

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Random question here, but I'm in need of a new desktop. Thing is I really don't think I can justify getting a Mac Pro because I need dual monitors(I already own 1 ACD), and it's overkill for what I need currently. In a couple of years though, I might need a more powerful computer, so at that point in time would it be doable to use the iMac as a second monitor for a new Mac Pro? At that point in time my daughter could use the iMac for her day to day stuff, and I could make use of my current ACD and the iMac as my second monitor.

SR20DETDOG

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Queensland Australia
iMacs can be used as just displays, it's called Target Display Mode.

If the iMac has thunderbolt (2011 models onwards) then it can be used as a second monitor for any computer that also has thunderbolt.

Pre-thunderbolt iMacs (pre-2011 models) can also do the same thing but will work with computers that don't have thunderbolt.

More info can be found at Apple's TDM FAQs page http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924

Comment

petalino

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
2006 Imac as second display for new 2013 iMac?

I actually have the same question.

I will be replacing my 20-inch Late 2006 (10.7.5) with a new, current generation 27 inch iMac.

I doubt that my old 2006 IMAC has Thunderbolt.

Can I use the old iMac as a second display for the new (looking at getting refurbished 2012 edition) 27" iMac I will be buying soon?

iMacs can be used as just displays, it's called Target Display Mode.

If the iMac has thunderbolt (2011 models onwards) then it can be used as a second monitor for any computer that also has thunderbolt.

Pre-thunderbolt iMacs (pre-2011 models) can also do the same thing but will work with computers that don't have thunderbolt.

More info can be found at Apple's TDM FAQs page http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924

Last edited:
Comment

petalino

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Just wondering if anyone might have an answer?

I actually have the same question.

I will be replacing my 20-inch Late 2006 (10.7.5) with a new, current generation 27 inch iMac.

I doubt that my old 2006 IMAC has Thunderbolt.

Can I use the old iMac as a second display for the new (looking at getting refurbished 2012 edition) 27" iMac I will be buying soon?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.