iMac as a NES monitor

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by super.swifty, Nov 10, 2010.

1. super.swifty macrumors newbie

Would I be able to use my iMac as a monitor for a 1st/2nd generation Nintendo/Sega console? (i.e. NES/SNES/Master System/Mega Drive)

I had a quick google search but couldn't find any information on the subject. I've seen lots of questions about Xbox 360's but nothing about older consoles. Wondered if anyone had any experience in this or could point me in the right direction?

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Basically no. The 27" iMac will only accept digital input signals, not analogue.

3. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

If he got a simple adapter it'd be possible. Though, I don't think they make just simple Composite-HDMI or whatever the iMac uses like they do VGA-DVI. If he got a converter box ($100-$300) it's possible.

OP, why would you want to run a Genesis on the iMac? Do that retro goodness some justice and buy a CRT :cool:. Seriously, good quality ones are 15 bucks on Craigslist. Computer monitors are even given out now.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Adapters to do it don't really exist - we have adapters to take HDMI/DVI sources to MDP, but that's it. You'd have to get hold of a composite to HDMI upscaler, and then run it through the HDMI to MDP adapter. That's a lot of steps for it to go wrong, not work or simply look awful - and it'd also be expensive.

My advice would simply be to buy a screen for the NES.

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

The other problem is that an adapter could put a small delay in the signal, which will be unacceptable for something like NES gaming. There are a bunch of LCDs out there (I have a Dell one) that have a composite input, which works great for this.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The lag would be unbearable if you ran it through a converter. An emulator + adapter for the controller is your best bet.