iMac as Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tomikawa1995, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Tomikawa1995 macrumors newbie

I've used an old model of the iMac for ages, but it was extremely tedious due to its slow processing power, so i bought a refurbished MacBook Pro. The new macbook is simply great and i love it.

Then this crazy idea hit me...
    would it be possible to use my iMac as a cinema display and also bump up my processing power of my MacBookPro by making use of the RAM and stuff on my iMac?

There may have been a post or question like this earlier, but I couldn't find any answers so yeah, I've decided to post my query here.

Thanks for the help guys.

2. BruceiD macrumors member

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4469?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    There you go! :)

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Which old model your iMac is? Not all iMac can be used as Target Display. I believe 2009 and 2010 unibody 27" iMac can be used as DisplayPort (also compatible with Thunderbolt MBP) monitor while 2011 iMac can only receive Thunderbolt connection.

4. TurnTronics macrumors member

5. Tomikawa1995, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

Tomikawa1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link BruceiD. Looks great.

iSayuSay: yeah...i was wondering the same thing. my mac is pretty old.. i'd have to get back home and find out the exact model (I'm on vacation right now), but its about...4 years old i think.. do you think i'd still be able to use is as a extra display?

EDIT: And just another thought. Is it possible to continue using my iMac as an extra display when I'm in bootcamp? or do things get a bit messy..

6. BSoares macrumors regular

No, only late 2009, mid 2010 and mid 2011 can be used for that. And only the 27" model. Also, the 2011 one can only take Thunderbolt input while the other 2 models also handle mini DisplayPort.

If your iMac is 4 years old then you certainly can't use it as a display.

7. Tomikawa1995, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

Tomikawa1995 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh patooey, that sucks.

4 years is just a guess though.. is there any way i can be sure?
    e.g. what would the Model ID have to be above and such?

EDIT: I know i also may be going off topic here, but does anyone else suggest a certain product as an alternate display? Since i can't use my iMac, I'm probably gonna by an extra display for the photo/movie edits. Apple's cinema display is a bit too pricey for me, and i know asking for a non-apple product on mac rumors is kinda dodgy, but yeah, anyone suggestions out there?

(and yeah, I'm still wondering if these alternate displays could be used while I'm on bootcamp for games and such)

8. dmax35 macrumors 6502

He could set them up in a cluster,thou would only benefit in extra computational power across the board to compute application like MATLAB etc.

http://www.apple.com/science/hardware/clustercomputing.html