iMac as display for PC?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Radiating, May 25, 2014.

1. Radiating macrumors 65816

I have an newer iMac 27" and I am very happy with the height and look and feel of the display as it sits on my desk. I just got a Mac Pro 8 core and happily decided to connect it to my new iMac in target display mode, because the thunderbolt display is shorter and VESA mounting it wouldn't work for me, it works perfectly, except for one huge problem.

Bootcamp does not work at all. Zero. Zip. Zlich.

I do lots of work in bootcamp, and I need the speed of it over parallels so VM is out of the question.

What are my options if I don't want to use the thunderbolt display?

I don't mind selling my iMac and getting a Mid 2010 27" iMac, which came with mini display port input (if the screen is the same quality), I just really don't like the thunderbolt display and want to use an iMac as a display.

I also looked around at capture cards and nobody makes a capture card that has a 1440p input but I didn't look very hard (black magic does 4k, and their 4k card runs very loud so it wouldn't work for a quiet workspace, plus I'd be running 4k downscaled which would look weird).

Does anyone have any suggestions? What would you do?

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

If you really want to run that 27" Apple display by your nMP in bootcamp but not a pure display either ACD or TD. Only the old 27" iMac can fulfil your requirement.

3. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Ditto. After Apple started using thunderbolt as the video connection for their iMacs, the iMac can no longer function as a PC-monitor. Bad design decision by Apple!

4. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Could you Thunderbolt networking and use the iMac as a remote desktop client?

5. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Yes, it's possible. However, he will need another display for him to boot up and connect to this Remote Desktop. Which make not much sense. Also, the Remote Desktop qulity is a bit poorer than the direct connection.