iMac as External monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by owen.andrews.00, May 12, 2009.

1. owen.andrews.00 macrumors newbie

owen.andrews.00

Hi All

I have an iMac G5 1.8 GHZ
    And a Mac mini intel core duo

is it possible to use the imac display as a monitor for the Mac mini

I am aware of software such as screen recycler that uses a firewire cable but id like to connect directly via VGA/DVI so it dont lag

An comments appreciated

Thanks

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

3. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

No...It Sucks! Ive wanted to do this. It technically is possible. You'd have to totally gut the imac and figure out the display power and rig it up. While you're in there throw the mini in and have a C2D imac.

4. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

HAHA, yeah I wish. The major hurdle is hooking up the lcd's inverter to the mini's logic board (or any other motherboard out there besides the g5's logic board) and as far as I know cannot be done.

This project is like a holy grail of hardware hacks and people have been trying to do it with laptop screens since...forever. Sadly this kind of project requires the expertise of an engineering team to figure out all the power wiring and hooking up the lcd to a graphics card or port.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can use a usb video-in card from Elgato on the iMac. A pain to do so really.

6. MTI macrumors 65816

The video in from Elgato isn't digital, is it? I thought it was more along the lines of S-video and/or composite.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Elgato offers a new model that accepts s-video.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iMacs don't have input, only output. You can't use iMac's screen as a monitor.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can with the Elgato devices.

10. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

Unhelpful reponse: Look up requirements for firewire and/or thunderbolt target display mode. I know it is possible with thunderbolt, and perhaps is possible with firewire, but I might be thinking target disk mode for firewire.

If not, you are inconvenienced like most Apple users at some point of owning a device. Hopefully you've made good use of your devices. But they've got new things for you and you'll be really happy with them. Just ignore the fact that you'll soon be in the same boat, after what is hopefully a long honeymoon.