iMac as iTunes Server?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Macaddict16, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

I have been using my current 2009 iMac as an iTunes server for movies and tv shows for a long time now. I have it set to never let the computer go to sleep and to have the display go to sleep after a short period of time. I don't think the recent slowness I have been having is related to leaving it on all the time, but didn't know. I am going to be purchasing a new iMac here in the next month or so (unless new non-retina iMacs are close?) and was debating on also picking up a lowend Mac Mini to use as a server. The downside is I would have to lose some of the upgrades I was planning on putting into the iMac to be able to do this. All of my media is on an external 3TB HD and will be connected to whatever computer I use as the server.

Is there anything wrong with using an iMac or retina iMac as a server along with normal usage as I have been doing all along? Or should I get a lowend Mac Mini along with the iMac and lower the specs on the iMac to compensate for cost?

Thanks so much!
    Macaddict16

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

THere should be no problems using the iMac. I don't get why you don't sleep your computers though?

3. Macaddict16 thread starter macrumors 6502

The Apple TVs need to be able to access the files from the computer and the last time I checked they couldn't be asleep and do this. Has this changed with newer versions of iTunes? To be honest I havent tried putting it asleep in a long time and and tried accessing the files through the Apple TV.

4. cynics macrumors G3

System Preferences > Energy Saver > Wake for network access / check

5. Macaddict16 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm. That was already checked, but I could ave sworn that the last time I looked at that it said wake for Ethernet access and since my iMac connects via WiFi I didn't think it would work. Thanks!

Looks like I will probably go for a beefed up iMac then with no Mac Mini. I have seen a lot of conversation about SSD vs Fusion, but I don't think I can get by with just 256 in the computer and the 512 is pretty pricey. Is there a huge performance difference between the SSD and the Fusion Drive? As I stated before, by media is all on an external HD.

Also, besides the obvious screen resolution, will there be much performance difference between a 3.5 i7 iMac vs a 4.0 i7 retina iMac? I tried looking up some Geekbench scores, but I don't really have a frame of reference for the numbers. Coming from a Core i7 2009 iMac 2.8.

Thanks!
    Macaddict16

6. cynics macrumors G3

It all depends on usage.

What are your normal task with an iMac?

With my usage I prefer storage capacity over speed. I also want a fast processor due to the amount of encoding I do.

So my systems are opposite of what most people prefer which is an SSD for access speed and normal processor since its virtually impossible to notice a real world performance difference there.

It all comes down to usage.

7. Macaddict16 thread starter macrumors 6502

Besides using it as an iTunes server, I play some games on it. Nothing too hardcore though. I really like the Civilization games and Xcom type games. Not needing it to run Crysis. I do basic office stuff. I would like to do some basic photo editing as well. I plan on using BootCamp to run Windows in case I need it.

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I have an older iMac that I thought about using as a media server as well. I ended up not using it as it just took up too much space and it was not an improvement on running iTunes etc. from my newer iMac. I know it is tempting to try find a use for a machine that still has life in it but, but for me, trying to use it as a media server was just redundant.

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

From Lion and forward, there has been major issues with waking on LAN, which gets fixed, reintroduced, fixed, etc.

I suggest jo test your AppleTV again. It should in theory work as another poster described above.

10. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

11. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I don't believe this will be the definitive answer to your question. Back in November, Jason Snell (formerly of MacWorld) wrote a piece about his new 5K iMac that included GeekBench scores of his machine compared to other Macs. Since I have a similarly equipped non-retina I did the math (non- / 5K) and found my iMac to be:

• Single-core GeekBench score is 89.0% of riMac
    • Multi-core GeekBench score is 90.8% of riMac

As Jason wrote, "That i7 non-retina iMac is clearly the second-fastest iMac out there!"

My point is that if you don't need the retina screen you won't be hurting yourself much in performance and you'll save almost a thousand dollars.