iMac as media center with wireless HDMI (WHDI)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Haugiz, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Haugiz macrumors member

Hi!

I just bought a PowerColor JustSling that should allow me to stream the picture on my iMac to my TV in the other room. I'm not that into the technical stuff, so I'm not 100% sure the picture is trasmitted lossless, but it looks good in reviews I've seen. I haven't received it yet, so I'm not sure how I will set this up.

What I would like is that this setup is always running, so that when I switch to the right HDMI input on my TV, the connection is established. I guess what I'm looking for is a media center solution/server that would be active but dormant at all times on my iMac, and an iPad app that would allow me to browse my library and start a movie or a tv-show whenever I want.

I've looked at Plex, but I don't know if that would work right since I don't need both a server and a "separate" player running at the same time, and I don't want to use itunes.

I guess I'm rambling a bit here, but I would be grateful for all suggestions (except those saying I should buy an apple TV : )

2. danwilliams macrumors member

I am not sure the JustSling gives this to you. It "slings" whatever video is being displayed on your iMac onto your TV. So if you want to watch a movie or TV show on your TV, it would also be displayed on your iMac at the same time.

I have the Plex Media Server running on my Mac. I also have a Roku box connected to both of my TVs in my house. Both of my kids could be watching two different videos (served up via my Mac) on the two TVs at the same time as I am doing work on my Mac. I think this is what you are looking for. However, you do need to purchase a Roku and download the Roku Plex App for it. Note that the Roku Plex App is free.

With this setup, you wouldn't need the JustSling device. The Roku would replace it. I hope this helps.

3. Haugiz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input. The reason I bought the Sling was so that I wouldn't have to stream the content. In my experience, those streaming solutions often have problems with the highest bitrates, which do I prefer. And also it gives me the opportunity to play the occasional game from steam in Big Picture mode. I can hookup a PS3 controller to my iMac, and play a game in my living room.

I won't be using the iMac and the TV both at the same time.

I guess I could just find an app for the iPad that works as mouse and keyboard, and access my media without any fancy media center running ;)

4. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Use Plex. You can run the plex server and plex media player on the same computer. I have a mac mini that stores all my movies and play movies directly from it to my TV. The ability to stream to other devices such as a Roku or ipad is a bonus. You can control it from your iPad as well.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

I too use plex, but I use my mac as media server, then use the plex ipad client to airplay to my apple tv.