iMac as monitor?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LeorD, Aug 12, 2008.

1. LeorD macrumors member

Hi, Guys
    I'm Very pleased with my iMac and it works perfectly, also i have my old windows IBM-T40 laptop and I was just wondering if there is a way to use the iMac as a monitor only so i can use my laptop in a 24" screen.

2. wilmor42 macrumors regular

wilmor42

it won't work whatsoever im afraid,
    the iMac only had video output and no input..

3. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

Only from Mac to PC using ScreenRecycler and JollysFastVNC. It's shareware though.

4. iMacSE500 macrumors member

iMacSE500

I asked the guy at the Apple Store the same question. His response was also no. That is too bad.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why in the world would you do such an atrocious thing? the iMac is a desktop all-in-one, not a cheap plastic monitor. pick up XP/Vista and use Boot Camp/Fusion/ or Parallels.

Sorry to sound rude, but answer's no.. No input as someone said.

6. WineLover macrumors newbie

Almost...

You may not be able to use your monitor, but i've been using RDP (Remote Desktop Connection) for years. you can run that on your Mac now - it's been in beta for a while, but the version i'm using is pretty stable, and assuming you have your laptop on a network, you can "remote into" the laptop. I do it all the time because there are some Windows apps that i need to use for the office. Also, you can try as another poster suggested and run VMWare or Parallels, set up a WinXP instance, and then use RDP from that virtual machine into the laptop - you'll need to tweak network settings a bit. I'm not sure if you'll get the full resolution, but it will come close. I recently tried watching a Netflix movie this way, and the result was OK, but the video player needed some help. Netflix does not have an Instant-viewer app for Mac yet.