iMac as TV/PS3

Discussion in 'iMac' started by samir786, Aug 24, 2013.

1. samir786 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im going to university in a few weeks and I am going to purchase a MacBook pro 13 inch 2.9ghz to take to lectures etc.. I also currently have a iMac 27 inch and am also taking this to university to keep in my room. I can use this to watch live tv/netflix/downloaded movies/music etc etc. My question is, is it possible to buy some sort of device which can link on to my imac which can let me use my playstation or other hdmi device. If this is possible what is the most cost efficient way whilst retaining the best quality/HD resolution.

Thanks,

Sam

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Depends on how old your iMac is. The pre thunderbolt ones you can by a switch box to use with your PS3 the later ones, no sadly.

3. samir786 thread starter macrumors newbie

i purchased it in 2012 its the silver and black model that looks the same as the newest imacs just not as thin

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Then there is no way to use it as a PS3 monitor. Why not buy a cheap TV with a DVI input you can hook your MB Pro to?

5. samir786 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a HD tv I bought some years back which I can take, just it isnt the best quality and is a bit old now, and with the iMac i get quicky easy access to netflix etc plus its a reasonable size screen for a university flat

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You could use a video capture device. EyeTV has some nice ones that are designed to be used with gaming consoles.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Yes it is a shame you can't. I have a couple of xBox's I would love to hook up to my iMac but it won't work. Why can't you just put Netflix on your MB Pro?

8. samir786 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will use netflix on my mb pro, just i like to have 2 screens, one playin whilst i work, watching netflix on one screen and browsing etc. it is a shame as the imac screen is fantastic quality. if my imac did have a thunderbolt port could i simply connect the device i found by "kanex" and use a ps3 or other device ?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your iMac does have a Thunderbolt port. Look into EyeTV's video capture devices.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Not to play games on. If you head over to here you can read up on it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=597130&highlight=use+imac+screen

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1620233&highlight=use+imac+screen

11. samir786 thread starter macrumors newbie

has just confused me even more. my imac has a thunderbolt port, so is the correct answer i cannot use my imac as a monitor

12. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Not directly it's not.

You need video capturing device. Even then it's quite expensive might as well get a dedicated display with multiple input ports instead.

13. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Your iMac can be used as a monitor for anything with thunderbolt output (which is mostly other macs, and a handful of PCs which people have been having trouble getting to work). The Kanex you found is great for converting HDMI to DisplayPort, but it unfortunately doesn't work with TB. At last check there was a required chip for HDMI-TB which Intel still wasn't making.

14. samir786 thread starter macrumors newbie

when i started this thread i was at work and did not have my mac in front of me. i have took a photo of the back of the mac as it does not have a thunderbolt port, is there still anyway i can use my ps3 with these connection ports

https://mail-attachment.googleuserc...377541442625&sads=s8ayBjYbFQ42gb5i6SqB7VbVDBM

thanks

----------

is it possible through the mini display port ?

----------

as my imac does not have a thunderbolt port am i correcting in saying if i buy a kanex xd i can use my ps3 ?

----------

as my imac does not have a thunderbolt port, am i correcting in saying i am able to use a kanex xd , and use my ps3 on my imac screen?

15. steve119 macrumors 6502

I managed to get hold of a USB 3.0 intensity shuttle, that works pretty well. :D