iMac "Asleep", but not really?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jman995x, Jun 2, 2013.

1. jman995x macrumors regular

I just bought a new iMac a couple of weeks ago (when my 2006 MBP finally crashed).
    I've been using an RSS reader called Gruml. Last night I put the iMac to sleep (with a clean Gruml Cache). I just awakened my iMac to find out that throughout the night my iMac was downloading things from my RSS feeds via Gruml (I know this because there are items in my Gruml Cache folder from 8am and 11am this morning when I, and supposedly my iMac, were asleep).

Gruml has a "Sync with Google Reader Every 'X' Minutes" function. Could that be causing the computer to wake and sync, then the energy settings in System Preferences kicks back in after inactivity and puts the computer back to sleep?

Regardless, if I turn off Wi-Fi before putting the computer to sleep, will that ensure that it doesn't wake up while I'm asleep?

Any way to make sure that my iMac stays asleep no matter what (aside from turning it off)?

Thanks,

J.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

 menu > Sleep.

Of course, if you really want to make sure your Mac doesn't do anything overnight, why not turn it off? :p