iMac at Christmas

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by faffoo, Aug 12, 2008.

1. faffoo macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am planning on buying an iMac at christmas. I have been saving for a while and am so excited.

My problem is: the Buyers Guide suggests a new iMac will be due around christmas.

Now from the past i have noticed:

Apple Either:
    1. Release a new version a couple of months before christmas.
    2. Release a new version at MacWorld
    3. Or Release a new one around about February.

But with all the news about this september event do you think there will be a new iMac at this event. This would be ahead of the predicted time of renewal.

Or do you think there will be another event this year for a new iMac and the possible MacBooka and MacBook Pro announcements. Possibily August (This Month). Like last Year, iMac and iLife event (August) and iPod Event (September)

So my question. Do you think buying at chrsitmas is a good thing or should I wait until the new release.

Second question. What about iLife and iWork. Is there likely to be a new version this year. iLife '09 and iWork '09.

Thanks in advance.

:apple::apple:

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I would expect a silent speed bump (no event needed for that) in either November or February. I wouldn't be surprised to see the iLife and iWork updates put off until next summer, around the time of 10.6.

3. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

If it comes to the end of november and i am going to buy it. If the buyers guide says 'DO NOT BUY' and there still hasnt been an update. What do i do, just get it or wait. What would you do?

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

That pretty much sums it up.

5. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Chances are any new update won't be significant enough to make the current models completely obsolete... it's just annoying if it arrives just after you've brought it.

I'm getting the 3.06 iMac in 2 weeks time and won't regret it at all if a new model comes out even a day later! (partly as i could return it within 14 days :D ).

All in all the current iMacs are more than powerful enough to last a long while... and if it's not, chances are you're doing something that pays you well enough to get the Mac Pro!

6. The Hammer macrumors regular

I would wait.

7. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Dead Pixels

hi again.
    A bit of topic but....

I have read a few reports about dead pixels on the iMac. How common is this and is it likely to happen to me.
    Also will I get a replacement if it does happen.