iMac at home a backup server while abroad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Astral Cars, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Astral Cars macrumors regular

Question:

Is it possible (and not too hard) to set up my iMac so that I can connect to it from anywhere and make some backups? I'm going to be leaving the country for awhile and traveling light. I'd like to be able to make some backups of photos and stuff while I'm away and get a chance to connect to the internet.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

CrashPlan would work perfectly for you. Just install it on the computer you want to backup to and your laptop/computer you'll have with you and backup.

3. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

Cool! I think that should work beautifully.

Is there anything I can do to ensure my iMac at home is sucking as little power as possible while I'm away, but can still be available for these occasional backups?

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Will someone be at home to turn your computer back on in case it shuts down for some reason?

If not, you may want to back up your photos to the cloud someplace... and then transfer them to your home computer when you return.

You can perform automatic backups to the cloud via many ways:

1) Crashplan backups of your laptop while traveling
    2) iDisk (as part of Mobile Me) on your laptop while traveling
    3) Dropbox on your laptop while traveling
    4) Any number of photo websites (be careful... most will not let you restore full res pictures without paying)

Also... flash cards are so cheap right now that you may be best off never reusing a flash card during your trip. Just change them in your camera and keep shooting. I would keep them stored in a different bag than your camera. I would also continue to back up to the cloud to have a redundant backup of your images.

/Jim

5. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

Actually there will be people around to restart it if it shuts down, so that should be decently reliable for me. Is there a way to make it wake up when I want to back up so that it can sleep the rest of the time?