iMac at home: Tax Write-off?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GimmeSlack12, Jan 23, 2009.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So I work from home a few times a month. I use my iMac to do all my work on those days. Is there a particular rule to being able to write-off the cost of the iMac? Or do I have to write-off a particular % of it's cost? I would say I work from home 5 days a month which is approximately 40 hours/month. This could be equated to 25% of my work hours per month.

Does this mean I can write off 25% of the total cost of the computer? Or can I write-off more? less? I'm searching the IRS pages for answers too, but anyone with experience of knowledge would greatly save me some time.

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you work as an employee? if so, you may only be able to deduct the computer cost if your employer requires you to provide your own work space on the days you end up working at home, plus they also have to require that you provide your own computer to do the work.......if it's a matter of just being convenient for you to work at home instead of going to work in your usual space at their office, then you probably can't deduct any of the computer purchase.

If you do qualify, it's going to be based on how much you use the computer for business vs how much it's used for non-business stuff

Or at least that's how I remember the rule!

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You need to log the use if you want to deduct it, if it is used less than 50% for business you'd likely get a fail.

So if the kids use it to play games 2-4 hours a day and you only use it 5 days a month -- you'll likely be SOL.

Edit: if it is a employer requirement, there is a publication for using that... But stuff done for your convenience that isn't a job requirement is a bit tougher to claim.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Should be a start here in publication 529