Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardbe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Hi All, a query for you. I just purchased a new iMac running 10.9.4.

I used to record vinyl from my turntables onto my old iMac (I bought it in 2005) using Audacity.

The new iMac only has a headphone port, whereas the old one had two ports and I used the non=headphone one.

I just tried recording via the headphone port on the new iMac and the sound isn't very good - it sounds like the recording has captured everything in the room, not just the record that was playing! any tips on how to do a proper recording on a new iMac using Audacity?

Many thanks

Richard

Lifequest

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
Very niche question. I hope you get an relevant response soon. Just thought I'd reply to let you know that your question is heard, just not easily answer-able. :(

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Check out the Behringer U-Control UCA222 for about $30.00 at Sweetwater.

It's about as cheap as they get.

richardbe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
I think you'll have to get a USB audio adapter with line in.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Is there any USB audio adapter that you might be able to recommend? I really appreciate your help on this.

Richard

JasonQG

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Is there any USB audio adapter that you might be able to recommend? I really appreciate your help on this.

Richard

The suggestion from fastlanephil is probably good, unless you want to get something high-end and more expensive. Are you an audiophile? Do you have an expensive turntable and amp? If not, save your money.

richardbe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
The suggestion from fastlanephil is probably good, unless you want to get something high-end and more expensive. Are you an audiophile? Do you have an expensive turntable and amp? If not, save your money.

Hi Jason, yes, the suggestion fastlanephil made looks good. I have two Technics SL1200 turntables and an Allen & Heath mixer with a Nad amp and will be recording mixes from my record collection, so only need an average line-in.

thanks

Richard

asorta

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Best USB turntable

I got Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable and use it with Audio Cleaning Lab, works great.

richardbe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Hi Folks,

I ended up buying the Behringer USB as suggested to hook it into my mixer and record vinyl from my turntables, but it doesn't work!

On my IMac, I went into system preferences / sound/ and changed the input from the computer's built in microphone to the USB input. I also changed the input in audacity to the usb device, but when I record using the Behringer, there is no sound. I would really appreciate some help, beginning to get desperate now.

thanks

Richard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.