iMac & Audacity

Discussion in 'iMac' started by richardbe, Oct 19, 2014.

1. richardbe macrumors newbie

Hi All, a query for you. I just purchased a new iMac running 10.9.4.

I used to record vinyl from my turntables onto my old iMac (I bought it in 2005) using Audacity.

The new iMac only has a headphone port, whereas the old one had two ports and I used the non=headphone one.

I just tried recording via the headphone port on the new iMac and the sound isn't very good - it sounds like the recording has captured everything in the room, not just the record that was playing! any tips on how to do a proper recording on a new iMac using Audacity?

Many thanks

Richard

2. richardbe thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Lifequest macrumors regular

Very niche question. I hope you get an relevant response soon. Just thought I'd reply to let you know that your question is heard, just not easily answer-able. :(

4. JasonQG macrumors newbie

I think you'll have to get a USB audio adapter with line in.

5. Antipode2012 macrumors newbie

Yes. Do this. Much better sound quality that the old mic-in option.

6. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Check out the Behringer U-Control UCA222 for about $30.00 at Sweetwater.

It's about as cheap as they get.

7. richardbe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Is there any USB audio adapter that you might be able to recommend? I really appreciate your help on this.

Richard

8. JasonQG macrumors newbie

The suggestion from fastlanephil is probably good, unless you want to get something high-end and more expensive. Are you an audiophile? Do you have an expensive turntable and amp? If not, save your money.

9. richardbe thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Jason, yes, the suggestion fastlanephil made looks good. I have two Technics SL1200 turntables and an Allen & Heath mixer with a Nad amp and will be recording mixes from my record collection, so only need an average line-in.

thanks

Richard

10. asorta macrumors newbie

Best USB turntable

I got Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable and use it with Audio Cleaning Lab, works great.

11. richardbe thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,

I ended up buying the Behringer USB as suggested to hook it into my mixer and record vinyl from my turntables, but it doesn't work!

On my IMac, I went into system preferences / sound/ and changed the input from the computer's built in microphone to the USB input. I also changed the input in audacity to the usb device, but when I record using the Behringer, there is no sound. I would really appreciate some help, beginning to get desperate now.

thanks

Richard

12. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Check the preferences in Audacity, there should be an audio device setting there. It will also need to be set to your USB device.