iMac audio in/out question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by grovertdog, Sep 7, 2007.

1. grovertdog macrumors regular

Hi all! Does anyone know if it is possible to have simultaneous audio in & out with an iMac? For instance, suppose I have an FM tuner connected to the audio in jack and then connect the output of the iMac to a power amplifier. I've used this arrangement with a PC in the past, but I can't seem to get it to work with my iMac.

I am able to get visual confirmation that the iMac is receiving a signal (analog) from the tuner by looking at "line in" in system preferences/sound, but I can't seem to have the iMac output either the same signal or a digitized version of same simultaneously.

Essentially, I am asking the iMac to act as a quasi-preamplifer, with me using the OS to switch between sources (e.g. input/tuner, iTunes) if you are wondering...

Anyway, I've tried fiddling with this (other than getting very deep into the intimidating-sounding "aggregate device" settings) and am getting nowhere. Can this be done? This question is presently for my C2D iMac 20", but I should have a spankin' new 24" alumniMac on Tuesday...

Thanks!
    ~gtd

2. GTiPhone macrumors regular

Might be a dumb question but can u hear ur input device thru the built in speakers?

3. grovertdog thread starter macrumors regular

Not a dumb question, but I can't remember. I'll re-rig it and see.

4. grovertdog thread starter macrumors regular

Brotherman- you rock! Thanks a million for the link. When I am visiting my buddy in Pt. Townsend I'll raise a toast to the lights of Victoria in your honor (I live in Bellingham, btw)...

Think soft LineIn will be able to output digitally? I will experiment..

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Cheers - let us know if it does the trix. Maybe I'll meet you someday when we go down to Port Townsend for Tango dancing.

6. grovertdog thread starter macrumors regular

Will do, haven't forgotten, got pulled away out of town on business, now getting back to fun mac audio shenanigans... Congrats on the looney - dollar parity, btw1